We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What to do with big premium bond win

Hello.

Been years since I was here

So I had a big win on my bonds and dont know what to do with it.

My isa is maxxed, no mortgage and am a basic rate taxpayer and our house is up for sale.

House market is sluggish and that win was to add to my house sale to buy a bungalow. Its in our current account but it could be sitting there for a while.

I dont know whether to put the whole lot in 1 account or divide it up to several.

I would rather deal with 1 savings account, with easy access. Its a lot of money though to move at once.

Advice please

X

«134

Comments

  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 6,479 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 29 September at 10:03AM

    How big is big? Depending on your bank you can often move between £25k and £100k per day by faster payments. The simplest, least aggravating way would be to open a savings account with your bank but it's unlikely that the rate will be the most competitive.

    Easy access savings accounts:

    https://moneyfactscompare.co.uk/savings-accounts/easy-access-savings-accounts/?sort-filter=standard-order

  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 2,354 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    It sounds like the best thing to do is keep the money in cash, not put it into investments. Unless not all of the money will be used for the house move.

    There are various websites which track savings accounts and which have the best interest rates currently. For example you can look here: https://moneyfactscompare.co.uk/savings-accounts/

    Remember that you want all your money covered by the FSCS protection, so no more than £120k in one banking group.

    Depending on how much money you have won the easiest place to put it might be in NS&I, where all your deposits are protected, not a £120k limit.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,625 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

     Unless not all of the money will be used for the house move.

    OP - If this is the case then you can consider various options for any 'spare money' What to do with it will hinge to a large extent, on when you might need the money in future. Also your age and employment/tax status will have to be taken into account.

    If you have really won a lot ( the Big one ?) you might consider taking some professional advice.

  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 9,574 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I've recently opened a Tesco Bank Easy Access savings account for money that I can't put into an ISA. Rate is ok at 4.24%. It's not the best, but I've heard of Tesco, and any high rate also means more chance I exceed the Personal Savings Allowance and have to pay tax on the interest.

    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • mon3ysav3r
    mon3ysav3r Posts: 310 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    Tesco Bank is owned by Barclays Bank UK PLC, from 1st November 2024.

  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 5,489 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Just to clarify, this poster doesn't mean keep it literally in cash! Definitely keep it ina bank/building society, not under the mattress!

    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    If the win is big enough that the £120k usual FSCS protection is insufficient for your purposes, and you don't want to mess around with multiple saving accounts, then why not give it straight back to NSI and place on one of their instant access savings accounts paying 3.75% or 3.69%?

    Not the best rates available, but certainly far better than your current account, and comes with a handy UK government backed gurantee upto £2 million.

    https://www.nsandi.com/easy-access-saving

  • fuzzzzy
    fuzzzzy Posts: 433 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    I have only ever won piddling amounts on premium bonds, but every so often I do think maybe I should open an NS&I direct saver to have in readiness just in case I ever do win the big one.

  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 5,489 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I am pleased for you, OP. You'll have financial security and less to worry about, and it should enable you to concentrate on the things which matter

    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.