We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car Insurance issue

Bio23
Bio23 Posts: 23 Forumite
Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper

Hello all

Please I need your advice. A third party car hit my car at the back. The rear end of my car was badly damaged. Majority of the impact is on the Rear end of the driver side. The other driver agreed that he was at fault. I contacted my insurance and everything was set in motion. I was given a courtesy car and my I was instructed to take my car to the garage for repair. At the garage, it was discovered that the rear wheel of the car at the driver's car was damaged. Now the third party insurance dismissed the claim because they cannot relate how the wheel was damage if my car was hit at the back. The point is I did not notice any damage to the wheel before the accident

I have been asked to go back to my insurance as the claim is now dismissed

please how do I deal with this.

«1

Comments

  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    "wheel was damage" the wheel itself, or it being out of alignment?

    Did an assessor inspect your car?

  • Bio23
    Bio23 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper

    I am not sure if an assessor assess my car. I just drove my car to the designated garage next day after the accident as it was instructed by third party insurance. Do I need to get an assessor.?

    There is a crack at the wheel according to the third party insurance. I did not noticed any crack on the wheel before the accident. I dont know what to do?

  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Do you check your tyres/wheels every day/week/month?

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    You go back to your insurance as instructed and find out exactly what the problem is.

    Are your insurance trying to say that your car had a defective wheel that caused the accident? I suggest that the Ombudsman will rule that it didn't cause the accident and they have to pay.

    Or are they saying that your claim has been inflated by the repairer as they don't believe that the accident caused the damage? Odd as it is presumably their tame repairer who does the work for a fixed fee from them anyway.

    Or are they somehow suggesting that they won't pay because you have done something that is against the terms of your insurance?

    If your insurer won't do what you have paid them for you follow their complaints procedure and then escalate to the Ombudsman, but this takes ages.

    You can also claim directly from the third party and miss your insurer out, but as you seem to have claimed though your own insurance, best to continue with them for the present

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The damage is a crack in the rim. Where? How bad?

    How bad is the rear damage? Anywhere NEAR the arch? Any witness marks on the tyre itself?

    Was there any slow pressure loss before the collision? Has there been any since?

    Some alloy rims are simply very prone to cracking from potholes and other road defects.

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,469 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Your opening post is very ambiguous. I read this is that it is the other driver’s rear wheel that is damaged. If you got rear ended by another car why would having damage to your rear wheel be an issue?

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,240 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Your story seems to flip mid way? You say you contacted your insurers and things were set in motion but then talk about the third party insurer telling you which garage to go to and rejecting the claim?

    They presumably havent rejected the whole claim only the damage to the wheel?

    As you are claiming from the third party insurer your options and rights are very different than if you were claiming from your own insurance. For example you have no write of complaint nor going to the Financial Ombudsman as you arent a policyholder/customer of the third party insurer.

    Switching to claiming against your own insurance at this point is going to be complicated given you have already incurred the third party insurers costs and they arent going to be willing to reimburse those costs a second time when your insurers try and claim their costs. Plus, they are going to be very on the ball to see if your insurers try and reclaim damage that they have declared pre-existing.

  • GixerKate
    GixerKate Posts: 460 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Ok, let me check I understand - you were involved in an accident where someone drove into the back of you causing damage to the rear of your car on the drivers side. Your insurance company told you to go to a garage and get an assessment. This assessment showed that the rear wheel on the drivers side of your car has damage and because of this the insurance company for the car that hit you has dismissed the case? That doesn't sound quite right to me.

    Have you spoken to your insurance company? What do you they say?

    Is it possible the damage to the wheel was before the accident or could you say that the accident could have caused the wheel damage?

    Either way you need to speak to your insurance company and find out what to do next. Also, I'd be careful how long you use the courtesy car as that charge can rack up very quickly and from what I've read, can cause complications further down the process.

  • Bio23
    Bio23 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper

    Thank you. I have spoken to my insurance again this morning and they have they promised to sort things out. I will make enquiry about the courtesy car from my insurance. I have never been involved in this kind of issue before.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.