We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Ebay Simple Delivery and oversize parcels

I've only just started selling via Ebay since Simple Delivery came into operation, and I can't quite get to grips with it.

I'm selling an item that is more than 61cm x 46cm x 46cm, and although I have enabled all four carriers in Simple Delivery (RM, Evri, Inpost and DHL) when I go to select the size of the item for shipping, it offers me nothing larger than Medium Parcel.

As far as I can tell, Evri will accept parcels bigger than the Medium Parcel limit, but I don't get the option. Please can someone suggest a way around the problem?

«1

Comments

  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    What category are you listing in?

    Also is this a new seller account or were you an established seller? Finally are you using eBay classic. Mobile site, or app?

  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 7,006 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 27 September at 1:30PM

    It seems a lot more complicated than I was expecting!

    Category is "Collectables > Animal Collectables > Taxidermy"

    I'm a long-established seller - the account has been active for 20 years.

    It's the conventional browser-based (not mobile) Ebay website. I've tried with both Firefox and Brave (Chrome-based), so I don't think it's a browser issue.

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,490 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 27 September at 1:46PM

    Assuming the work is cased I'm not sure I'd be risking selling it on ebay unless you have some sort of professional packaging. You might be better off selling on a local group where you can get the buyer to collect. Alternatively set your listing up as collection only- but be very careful to read through all the postage options and don't miss anything and accidently sell it with free postage.

    Alternatively If you are going to risk ebay then contact them and explain that you cannot list as the postage options are too small, I noticed someone mention on a facebook group that they had managed to get ebay to remove the SD option for a listing.

    Lastly be prepared for ebay to ask about licenses etc , although taxidermy is allowed in certain categories ebay do get muddled between restricted items which need licenses and fully allowed items.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 7,006 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Ah, OK - so there is no easy way to override Simple Delivery, and go back to the previous "not very complicated" Delivery?

    "Collection in person" is pointless IMO - you limit yourself to a tiny market.

    There is no issue with fragility, licences or anything like that. I will probably just not bother - it will probably only fetch a tenner or so.

  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I'm really surprised simple delivery is available on that kind of thing, let alone compulsory.

  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 7,006 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm surprised you're surprised, given that I haven't said what the item is!

    So what happens if a seller sells in a category where Simple Delivery isn't available? Ah well, it's not very useful for me to know that - it doesn't help with my current problem.

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,490 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    You mentioned a rather niche category- which is why I also picked up on professional packaging.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    While not knowing what the item actually is, seeing as you are listing in a category called 'animal collectibles/taxidermy- I'm very surprised ebay allows such items and especially that they are happy to arrange the postage. I should have thought such items would require specialist handling and likely be oversized and heavy to transport.

    Fwiw I have recently sold a printer cartridge and simple delivery was not available. I charged the buyer £3 postage and have purchased a label through ebay. However if the package is lost or damaged I will need to claim compensation as ebay will refund the buyer from my funds.

    My guess is ebay consider that category to be a high risk of damage in transit.

  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    My only thought is that if you do list with simple delivery and it defaults to medium parcel; when an item sells and you go to create the postage label you have the option then to report the parcel as larger or heavier than stated before generating the label.

    In my experience almost all simple delivery labels are evri, although I have had a couple of royal mail ones.

  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 7,006 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 30 September at 12:00AM

    I guess so, but it's a risk - I have to sell the item before I know whether that will work or not!

    Is it fair to assume that I have to list the item with Simple Delivery shown, but I don't have to use Simple Delivery to ship it? If so, I think I'll abandon the plan to list it as an auction, and sell it Buy It Now with enough added to cover what it will actually cost to ship (and ship it tracked myself using a carrier of my choice).

    BTW, despite the "exotic" category, the item itself is not in any way exotic. Not fragile, no licence needed - it's very ordinary.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.