We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Housing Association trying to exclude my garden
Comments
-
This totally ignores that owning your own home has benefits, like not having to pay rent when you are retired and having an asset to pass on to your children, the potential to downsize and benefit from some gain in the increase in value if held for the long term. With a RTB discount it can often be cheaper to pay a mortgage than pay rent. Knowing you have no rent or mortgage to pay in retirement would be enough for me.
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.0 -
I agree with this, we bought under RTB, as I did not want to be paying rent in retirement. Our mortgage is far cheaper than the rent would be, and we would have been stupid not to have taken advantage of the RTB.
Our neighbours decided not to buy theirs many years ago as it was a choice between holidays or a mortgage. The wife now has some health issues, but she needs to keep working as they still need to pay the rent.
I'd also wonder how long it will be a home for life, in our street I think around 9/10 are still HA and only one of those has young children, 3 have older teens/adult children still at home, leaving around 6 or 7 3 bed houses which are under occupied by either a single adult or couple, yet young families can wait years to be suitably homed.
Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023
Make £2024 in 2024...2 -
They have offered me to buy the land back off of them for an additional price of £15,000 with a clause that it can't be sold for 20-30 years, if its sold within those years I have to give them 50% of the sale (uplift)
This is an overage clause - their valuer has clearly identified that this land could potentially be sold to a developer, and they are acting to ensure that if this is done (either by you or your estate) the HA would not be out of pocket on that redevelopment.
If it is a large site it could be economically viable to simply demolish your property, and this may be their concern. Planning generally comes down to site-access i.e. if a viable service road can be implemented it will almost certainly be granted permission - if such access cannot be achieved (e.g. a blind corner on a busy road) it's much more challenging to get permission.
Whether this is legitimate is not a question I can answer but overage clauses are quite common on property which may have future "hope" value.
1 -
I'm not ignoring anything. I'm setting out the benefits of remaining a social housing tenant as I see them and encouraging the OP to consider every aspect of whether buying is the right decision for them. You'll see that I even say it's not my place to argue the OP's decision and my post closes with my personal conclusion which may well not apply to others.
2 -
Thank you so much, I’m looking at ever Avenue and what you have posted I’ i’m in the process of doing. When I signed for house in 1989 there was a that lived here before I did and when I come to see it she was here and we talked about the garden so she thought the garden was included in her tenancy and I thought the garden was included in my tenancy because nobody has ever been out to tell me anything different it and looked after it for 37 years and now that I’ve come Dubai the estate agent turned around and went back to their Solicitors and said there’s prime land there so citizen have decided to to take the land off me but then sell it back to me . Thank you so much for your post.
0 -
no I have a gate belongs tot the home. So it’s just me family and friends that come to see me.
0 -
Thank you so much, that is what I thought I was buying the whole area that I have been dwelling in and using, but Citizens say not. That have shown me not documentation to suggest that the garden was not part of the dwelling.
I will look into the shelter thank you and was thinking of going to the paper about this . Thank you again0 -
Thank you Jude I do know this, that is why I’m buying the property.
1 -
I haven’t got the original because in 1989 just got me to sign the paperwork and they kept it, since then I have had updated tenancy from citizen when I asked them for my terms of agreement, they send out a example booklet that doesn’t have my name or address on or anything like that so I’ve never had that from Whitefriars or citizen.
0 -
would you happen to know what journalists? I have ask CAB but they can’t help me. I’m hoping to get to see a solicitor on Saturday to speak free for 30mins. The council sent all the paperwork over when it sold the property to Citizens. But they have lost the paperwork.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
