We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How can I get a refund on a product that is 8 months old

Geeves1980
Geeves1980 Posts: 238
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 23 September at 9:12PM in Consumer rights

I purchased an LED face mask from currentbody in January 2026. I have been very happy with it, up until recently when the handset developed a fault and the device no longer turned on reliabley. I contacted customer services and after some troubleshooting tips, I was able to submit a video showing evidence of the fault. They agreed the item appeared faulty and allowed me to start the process for a return. To complete the process to generate the return label, my only option was to select to obtain a refund with store credit, minus fees of £3. Although I was not happy about this, I accepted the £3 loss and planned to repurchase the same product with the store credit. I posted the item back the same day and as soon as it had registered as returned at the post office, I received the e-gist card in my email.

However when I went on to their website, the model of mask I have has been replaced by their newest model, which is £50 more. The only other option is an older model that is lower spec than the one I returned.

I am now challenging this, but currently being ignored.

Wondering what my rights are to challenge as it seems unfair that I should have to accept either a lower spec product, or pay extra to buy their newest model when the item I purchased has developed a fault. They have at no point offered a repair or replacement, just by default forced me in to accepting store credit which I can't even use to buy a like for like product.

As it stands, it would seem I have few rights to a refund as the item is over 6 months old, however this cost £450 and should be expected to last more than 8 months. It has has standard, single person use. The handset is a sealed unit so it's not as though I've compromised its integrity by opening it up exposing it, causing loose connections or damage etc.

I paid via debit card and have already explored a chargeback, but as it is over 120 days old they have said they cannot help.

Any advice would be appreciated.

«1

Comments

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,894
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Having agreed to return it and accept credit, I think your options are limited. You're probably reliant upon goodwill now. Or waiting for the inevitable drop in price once they've shifted enough of the new model at inflated prices.

  • Geeves1980
    Geeves1980 Posts: 238
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 23 September at 9:46PM

    Yes I agree it has defeintely complicated matters. I'm hoping I may be able to argue that they gave me no other option than to accept those terms and also being able to use the credit is creating an unfair advantage to them as I have less favourable options when purchasing a replacement.

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,177
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Bit of a strange one, as they are clearly not following the consumer rights act, but it may have worked in your favour...after 6 months it is on you to prove the fault was inherent in the item at purchase, so youd need an engineer report or similar. That would have cost you a fair bit for a specialist sealed unit, although youd get it back if you are correct. Then they would have been entitled to make a deduction for your use of the item, say maybe 10-20% for 8 months use.

    So you would still have had to pay extra for your replacement, and maybe more than the £50 you are currently looking at.

  • Geeves1980
    Geeves1980 Posts: 238
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 24 September at 11:10AM

    It does appear that their customer service, when issues are raised, is shocking! I'm just now trying to pick my battle with them and find out what my best option and strongest argument is. Currently, the two options they are leaving me with are not acceptable.

    My 'gift card' expires in 6 months and the price of the only comparable model needs to reduce by 10% for me to not have to spend any more of my actual money with them.

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,894
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    So you have £447 credit to put towards a brand new model (that itself is presumably a slight improvement on the one you had) which will cost you another £53.

    Doesn’t seem a bad deal when put like that. As Woodstok says, if they'd met their consumer rights obligations, you might have been asked for an independent report and may have ultimately got back something like £400. You'd then be £100 short of the cost of a replacement.

    If you're definitely going to buy a new one, it sounds like you're in a good position to do so, and better than you might have been if they'd dealt with you "properly".

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,177
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    The problem is that now you have accepted the store credit, and returned the item so you cant prove the fault was there originally. In that scenario they've exceeded their obligation by giving you a full refund in store credit, regardless of what you can buy with that credit now.

    You can keep fighting, but it is going to be a struggle.

    On the plus side, code LAURALOUCB will get you 10% off and bring the mask back down to £450.

  • Geeves1980
    Geeves1980 Posts: 238
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 23 September at 10:50PM

    I guess it seems like a bad deal because I shouldn't really be having to spend any more money to replace a faulty item, that has stopped working quite a bit earlier than should be reasonably expected for this product, at this price point.

  • Geeves1980
    Geeves1980 Posts: 238
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Thank you very much for finding that code, it worked. Hopefully this new one lasts a bit longer!

    I don't usually buy things like this, but had actually been pleased with how it had helped with the redness and irritation from rosacea, more than anythng else I'd tried.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,159
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    OP has not stated where bought or website.

    Whats the odds on this being a non UK purchase?

    Life in the slow lane
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 2,323
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Did a medical professional recommend the mask as a treatment for rosacea? I eventually got a referral to a dermatology clinic and the specialist doctor there devised a treatment regime (washing my face with an emollient, twice weekly application of azelic acid cream, daily use of a mineral based sun block - all on prescription) which has had a dramatic effect on the effects of rosacea.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.