We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Buying Kia Niro EV - additional warranty worthwhile?
Hello all,
I'm all set to purchase a used (3 year old) Kia Niro EV from a Kia dealer. It seems in very good shape, battery health very good. I'm just pondering a couple of possible extras that I'd value views on (my desired approach to cars is to buy a good one every 5-10 years and then get all the use out of it for as long as humanly possible, ie really maximise value):
- Kia has the standard 7-year warranty (battery 8 years) from new. So, we've got 4 years. We could buy 2 extra years warranty for £700, taking us to 6 years. I've no idea how to work out if that is worth doing?
- We get included 1-year breakdown cover + MOT insurance (the latter seems to be that if it fails MOT, then Kia sort it for free). We could purchase another year of both for £100 inclusive. Again, I've no idea how to know if this makes sense
- In part I realise I'm not sure how the two above interact with each other.
I can ask the dealer more detail on this, and I've tried, but this causes me more confusion rather than less! Because I"m not sure what logic I should be applying to know how to reach a final decision.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
(If relevant to anything, we're in the position of being able to purchase the car outright; rather than using some kind of finance/lease scheme)
Many thanks!
Comments
-
Make sure the additional g'tee is from Kia and what exactly is covered? plus does the car have full service history to validate the g'tee?
1 -
Yes from Kia. And yes full service history. (And yes helpful point to check exactly what is covered.)
If we assume it's the core mechanical stuff that's covered (eg not the entertainment system, wipers, etc), then I'd still value any advice on how to work out whether either an additional warranty, or the MOT cover, seem like sensible things to get?
I'm not sure what reasoning or logic I should be applying here, to work that out?
0 -
Well you have to choose but I think I would pay the extra. Maybe see if you could push them for more 'free' MOTs if you pay the extra?
0 -
Why would you pay for a warranty when you still have 4 years (5 on battery & drive train). Which is longer than you get with many manufactures?
Are you sure that you are not referring to a service plan for the £700
Having had Kia's in household for 14 years, & only 1 warranty claim ( for a charge port door actuator)
That £700 will get you 38,000 miles of IOG off peak charging at home. Or 24,000 ish at SVT rate.
Life in the slow lane3 -
Thanks @born_again , yes that is what I am trying to think through. (And thanks, this response helps with that!)
I will of course double check, but I believe it is an additional 2- year Kia warranty. Yes, I can see your point. The logic perhaps is that if anything goes wrong, it'll be something very major (especially with an EV), and so I'll be glad I had the extra-long warranty in place.
As you note, a counter-view is that the money could be better spent elsewhere! And I stomach the (likely very small) risk that something very expensive goes wrong after the standard warranty expiry, but during the usable life of the car that we're wanting to keep going as long as sensibly possible
0 -
OP, I don't believe there is any logic you can apply. Like any insurance it is a gamble. Except motor insurance, where you have no choice in the matter.
1 -
I think it probably makes sense to buy the additional warranty and MOT thing if you are sure to keep it long enough to benefit. I suspect they price these things at a discount to reflect that many people will sell the cars before the extra warranty is in force and I doubt the warranty transfers to a new owner (worth checking though) £350 a year for additional peace of mind seems worth it to me.
2 -
@born_again, there is something wrong with your maths again I think?
If IOG will get 38,000 miles for £700 can you explain how SVT would get 24,000 miles in the same car
0 -
Extending a warranty is usually a decision that's only made when the original warranty is about to expire.
You may well sell it on, write it off, or it gets stolen before that. I really wouldn't consider it right now.
1 -
For me - extend warranty - No
Buy a 1 year extension on breakdown and MOT cover - yes.
I might consider extending the warranty if it was on a short one, £700 for 2 years isn't that expensive. Peugeot are offering me a year for £460. But with 4/5 years cover, I wouldn't bother.
The only claim I've made with my current car is the MOT cover. Had a couple of issues on the MOT a couple of years ago and the dealers just fixed them and knocked the cost off the bill. One was the front brakes from memory. Saved me £300 that year. Worth it with the breakdown cover as well.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
