We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Tuck

Anyone use it or a similar cashback app?

I've never used a cashback gift card, but I've spent a bit of time looking at the Tuck app recently, and have learned that you can load a gift card for everyday grocery shopping,, Sainsbury's, Waitrose, etc and get somewhere in the region of 3 to 4.5% cashback. Also available for other places like Wickes and B&Q, where I buy things for the house now and then.

I'd never really considered doing this previously, but I've done the maths, and it looks like I could save/earn a few hundred quid a year just by doing my normal shop.

«1

Comments

  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 11,992 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Never heard of Tuck, but I use the everup app which gives cashback on giftcards. I try and look at the app before purchasing almost anything to see if a giftcard is available.

    Make £2026 in 2026
    Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
    Total £629.02  31%

    Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
    Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

    Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
    Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Tuck is much like Everup, worth checking them both since there can be 0.5-2% difference on same giftcard's cashback. Use them both with no problems for ~£100/wk shops.

    Everup does allow payment by credit card for extra cashback, can't persuade Tuck to do same, needs payment by bank connection, Everup also allows spend of cashback earned on next gift card.

    Used to use Airtime but that seems to have given up on the main supermarkets.

  • winkowinko
    winkowinko Posts: 576 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Thanks @Slinky. So you buy the card and receive the cashback immediately, before you've even bought anything? Do you top it up just before payment, or load it with a set amount and use it until it's empty before reloading?

    Ideally i'm looking for an app that covers both Aldi and Waitrose, as they are the two main shops I buy my food from.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 22 September at 8:13PM

    Ideally i'm looking for an app that covers both Aldi and Waitrose, as they are the two main shops I buy my food from.

    Neither Tuck nor Everup offer cashback at Aldi, suspect this will be true of Lidl too (not checked).

    You are incentivised to spend the cashback within the apps, there's a minimum amount that must be 'earned' before it can be returned as cash.

    I buy one-off cards just before spending, don't want to be holding inherently insecure card balances for any longer than necessary. Also a problem if Tesco goes bust while you're holding…..

  • winkowinko
    winkowinko Posts: 576 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    So you just buy the gift card for the exact amount at the till once you know what your total spend is?

  • grumpy_codger
    grumpy_codger Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    Neither Tuck nor Everup offer cashback at Aldi

    What does "Get up to 3.60% cashback every time you shop at Aldi" mean then? And why is it UP TO for every their cashback %?

  • winkowinko
    winkowinko Posts: 576 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I'm guessing the 'up to' part applies to all brands which have at some stage received up to x% cashback.

    In the case of Aldi, it looks like you can receive a scratch card reward instead, which I really can't be arsed with. I also notice that the voucher can't be used on self-service checkouts, which immediately rules it out for my lunchtime purchases. Have you seen the queues for the staffed checkout tills?

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Have done this (easy with self-scan running total), but I know pretty much that my shop will be somewhere north of £100 so I usually buy a £100 or £120 gift card while sat in the supermarket car park. Settle the balance with a card.

  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 4,326 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    Am I missing something or is there zero account security in Tuck?

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Now you mention it, none whatsoever.

    I've got it in the Secure Folder of my Samsung - but another reason why you don't want gift cards hanging around for longer than absolutly necessary.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.