We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Council tax benefits

Good afternoon,

help needed

my son split from his fiance early 2024 . He asked to use my adress for his banking and every thing else .I say yes like any good parents would . He never moved in . Went on his way to live from one place to another :no fixed abode .

I am living on my own well almost got a little dog for company,have been since my husband passed away,disable on benefits.Because of my motherly way the council his now telling me my son live with me . Told them to come and do a inspection ,explain the situation, give his previous adress but still do not accept it .I quote :*

every person in the UK is expected to have a sole or main residence for council tax purposes*

Do not known what else I can do .please can someone advice . Thank you

«1

Comments

  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Where is your son living? Is he paying council tax there?

    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • FlorayG
    FlorayG Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Everyone who has an address is considered to live there. People who go away for months still pay their council tax. You will have to either require your son to pay his share or ask him to "move out"

  • frigtirony
    frigtirony Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 September at 12:16AM

    My son do not live with me ,he is sofa surfing moving around as I say no fix abode so cannot ask him to move out . My question was how can I prove that only my adress is getting use he do not have a permanent place of residence he live out of carry bag. Thanks for any help

    #Everyone who has an address is considered to live there. People who go away for months still pay their council tax. You will have to either require your son to pay his share or ask him to "move out"#

    years ago my father in law used our address but never live with us . We are from travelling family so yes some people use addresses and do not live there.even the shelter charity say that you can use ,with permission, some friend or relatives address if you got no residence.but how to you prove someone got no residence

  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 5,699 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    In most areas, the local Council will have an officer who helps members of the travelling community. Contact the council and ask to be put in contact with their travelling community officer. They may be able to help you.

    Or if you rent where you live, your landlord may be willing to write a letter confirming who lives at your address.

    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Although a landlord could only confirm who is supposed to be living in a property not who is actually living there.

  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,737 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Is your son on any other benefits and if so, which address does he use? If, for example the DWP accepts he is of NFA, the DWP may be able to liaise with the council. Alternatively, as stated above, many areas have support groups for travellers, your local group may be able to assist.

  • Thank you for the help will try traveller support groups. And my son do not claim any benefits .

    Once again thank you will battle on

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,304 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    If you were not claiming any council tax benefit or single occupancy reduction, the council wouldn’t care how many people were living there.

  • I am living on my own so I am claiming the one person reduction that I am entitle to get this is why they need justification .Of course I realise that if I wasn't a widow I wouldn't have this problem .

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,304 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    I was referring to you post about your father in law using your address As you say ‘our’ that would indicate more than just you , so the council would not be concerned about it.

    Now that you are a sole occupier they are concerned.

    Is there no other family address , where it would not cause a problem, that he can use?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.