We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Publishing your own first book – your experiences?

124»

Comments

  • I can definitely understand the appeal of finally holding a physical book with your own name on the cover! I'm not expecting to make much money from it either, although I'd still like to see whether I can find a route where I'm not simply paying to have the book published. The local side of what you describe does appeal to me though. Readings and approaching independent bookshops are things I could actually imagine doing, much more so than trying to build a following on social media. It's interesting to hear that some of your friends have managed to get their books stocked that way. Do you know how they approached the independent bookshops? Did they simply go in and ask whether they'd be willing to stock a few copies, or did they already have contacts there?

  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,801 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Local bookshops were happy to host events where they read. It suits both really - the book shops are pleased to get people through the door and see it as beneficial for them. The authors also enjoy the opportunity.

    If you look online you will be able to see what sort of things your local bookshops are organising and you may well find that they want to show how they are integrated to their community. Most seem to have a section on local history and local authors. You may find yourself pushing at an open door!

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,312 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    The novel I'm reading is about someone publishing books (weird eh 🙂) and there is a link there about a way to send manuscripts, like a clearing house for collages. But it's back somewhere. I have a quiet day tomorrow 🙏 and I'll see if I can find it.

    I do remember a colleague who published a book. The eternal repeat editing she had to do put her off writing any more but she wasn't young then and everyone is different. Otherwise we wouldn't have our favourite writers.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.