We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Publishing your own first book – your experiences?
Hi all, I've always been a big reader and I've written quite a bit myself over the years. Mostly short stories and bits and pieces that were really just for me. Recently though I've had an idea for a novel that has stuck with me, so I've finally started putting it down on paper. It's still very early days and there's a long way to go, but it's the first time I've seriously thought that I might actually want to finish something longer and see where it goes.
That has also got me looking into what actually happens if you do end up with a finished manuscript. I hadn't realised quite how many different routes there are. Traditional publishers, approaching agents, self-publishing, companies that offer various publishing services... and the more I read, the more questions I seem to have 😅
I'm not under any illusion that writing a first novel is going to make me rich, that's really not why I'm doing it. But if I do manage to finish it, I'd like to give it a proper chance rather than just leave it sitting on my computer. At the same time I'd be wary of spending a lot of money without really knowing what I'm paying for or what is actually worthwhile.
So I'd be interested to hear from anyone here who's actually been through it. How did you publish your first book, and would you choose the same route again? Is there anything you wish you'd known when you were starting out?
Comments
-
My advice would be to expect rejections.
Harry Potter was rejected to 12 times before it was finally taken up. And then it needs to be the type of book that people will put marketing resources behind.
I can remember awhile ago reading an article with traditional publishers saying the books they had put out which they expected to do well and which had died without trace.Have you had any of your short stories published anywhere?
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.1 -
not quite the same as you, as I've only self-published a few copies of a family history book for free distribution within the family, but I found these printers very helpful, and unlike many you can simply play around with all the variables on their website and get immediate quotes as to costs without having to register an e-mail or anything.
Mixam UK | Premium Quality Printing at Affordable Prices | Mixam
1 -
You can self publish e-books on amazon pretty easily I think
0 -
Not propper publishing. I did 6 small books of walks and refreshments that I printed and collated and sold them at local fetes and fairs but they did well for years.
I planned to amalgamate them into a coffee table book because that was a popular thing at the time pre everyone on gadgets.
I think you need to find which publishers specialise in the genre you are writing for and know your target reader.
When I wanted to turn to illustration I was surprised that there were companies that specialise in different types. Perhaps there are chatty forums or groups where people have the same ambitions as you and they could give you a head in the right direction.
What about reading new books for editors? I know a couple of people who do that. It may be a way into finding out where the best place to target is.
I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
1 -
There is a chap on YouTube called Philip Chase who has self published his fantasy series and he has done a short video about the process. He even has a proper Broken Binding publication now. He has done OK out of it - but he did have the advantage of already running a fairly popular YT account for marketing. I very much enjoyed the series.
1 -
I don't know if they still do but Amazon did actually publish hard copy books, as I have a few. But they are non-fiction.
If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales2 -
Looks like they do!
1 -
My local library runs regular events with local authors, it might be worth finding out if yours does too.
DH has had a non-fiction book published after more years than I care to remember. Very difficult to find a publisher and found this one almost by accident. But the key thing is self-promotion: he tells everyone he thinks might be the least bit interested but it doesn't necessarily equate to sales.
I think if you order his book from Amazon it's printed on demand ... And it's e-book and hardback too. He's got hardback but I'm not sure anyone else does.
Signature removed for peace of mind1 -
You're probably right about expecting rejections. Although it has been quite a long time since J.K. Rowling was trying to get Harry Potter published, and the book market seems incredibly saturated these days. From what I've read so far, it seems very difficult for an unknown author to get picked up by an established publisher now, unfortunately.
And no, none of my short stories have been published. They were really just for me. So this is actually the first time I've thought seriously about publishing something.
0 -
Thanks, that's useful to know. I haven't really looked into the actual printing side of self-publishing yet, so I'll definitely have a look at that. Being able to play around with the different options and see the costs upfront sounds particularly useful.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



