We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Virgin - Expired Credit Card?
I used a Virgin CC a few years ago for a Balance Transfer. Was put away and never used it since whilst I was paying the balance off. They've emailed me with another offer on their BT which I'd like to take them up on; only thing is, I can't! My card had expired a year ago!
The same card is on their app, which suggests they never sent out a new card. Is this normal?
Comments
-
I've not done balance transfers, but I've found it usual that if my credit cards haven;t been used in a while, then the provider won't automatically issue a new one.
However they do tend to get in touch beforehand to let me know that they don't intend to do so unless I make a purchase in the next few weeks…
0 -
Any chance that the card has been renewed (check the expiry date on the app) but no physical card has been mailed since old card not used?
0 -
When this has happened, has the underlying credit card account been closed or has it somehow remained open albeit without an active card attached?
0 -
That's the thing, the card details in the app are still the old card
0 -
Including the old expiry date? (i.e. it being a date in the past)
If so, call up Virgin Money CC customer services and explain your situation. Sounds like a glitch on their part.
0 -
Closed - but there will have been a zero balance for some time in each case.
0 -
OK. The OP's situation sounds different - it seems as though their account is still open, as not only have they received the email offer but they also still have access to an account in the Virgin Money CC app.
0 -
Contact Virgin and ask
On a different brand card, which I hadn't used for about 3 years:
I could still log in. I phoned up to ask what was happening with the account, why I had no new card. They said I hadn't used it for a while before the old one expired. They sent a new card.
This is simpler than applying for a new card somewhere else
0 -
Interesting - not heard about this happening before with credit cards.
Nowadays with LBG (Lloyds, Halifax, BoS), when a debit card expires if you haven't been using it then they'll send you a message to say they won't issue a new one unless you specifically request them to do so.
0 -
When I opened a new Virgin card I set up the app using my e-mail address and it immediately recognised me and asked me to sign in. I pressed the forgot password box and managed to sign in. My old closed card was showing in the app with the full limit available to spend but clicking on the card there was a box stating "your account is closed" and the full card details are not available.
So OP, does the card show the full details, expiry date & CVC with "Yes" against Card active ? And is the BT offer showing under the "Offers" button on the card ?
One silly thing with the Virgin app is that the only way to view the card PIN is by inputting the CVC ………. which can be found through another click using passcode / biometrics. Why not just use that to view the PIN in the first place as other cards do ?
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



