We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Voxi mobile, pay monthly (non contract), will I get charged if sim not activated?

mda99das
mda99das Posts: 191 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

I have a nuance situation here.

I noticed Voxi had the cheapest phone, but you have to pay £10 for a rolling 30 day contract.

I also got £22.50 cashback initiated, but it says 8 weeks from top cashback, so that could track to zero.

I have no intention of using the sim, and have not activated it.

My questions is

  1. If the sim is not activated, will I get charged £10 monthly?
  2. If I cancel the sim, do I loose my cashback?
  3. Can I get £10 refund for not using the sim, and still keep my cashback?
  4. Should I cancel the Voxi subscription service via my bank?

Many thanks

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,353 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    You have committed to 30 days-worth of airtime contract, so £10, have you not already paid this? It won't be refundable.

    The contract starts when you activate the SIM so if you give notice now you should not be liable for any more charges.

    Don't have VOXI so don't know mechanism for giving notice, hopefully it doesn't need you to activate the SIM.

    Have you bought the phone outright or on finance? Just be careful not to cancel any payments for the phone rather than the airtime.

    You need to check the detail/terms on TCB for the cashback deal - fully expect that it will need the airtime contract to be running for the full 8 weeks.

    Any reason not to take the airtime deal? 60GB for £10/mth is pretty good, especially with their no price rise commitment.

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    According to their terms on TopCashback:

    • To qualify for cashback, the SIM plan must remain active for at least two full payment cycles (i.e., two complete monthly billing periods).

    So if you do not activate the sim, or you cancel it within the 2 billing cycles, you will not get any cashback.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.