We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Quickline - ETC and 30 day guarantee
I need help and advice on my recent broadband contract. I’m not looking for a “way out” I just want to understand what’s correct and where my rights stand with things like this situation so please be kind.
27/07/26 we signed up for a new broadband with Quickline, fibre 500, up/download speeds of 500mbps with a guaranteed minimum speed of 375mbps for both for £28.99 per month, £1.00 for the first month and then 23 months of £28.99.
On the 05/08/26 our service was activated, not long after that we found out we had been successful bidding on a council property, this is the first time in 8 years, we never thought we would get accepted hence taking out a new broadband contract, if I had any hope, we obviously wouldn’t of done.
on the 30/08/26 I notified quickline of this unexpected move of address and stated we wanted to take our new service with us, asked if this was a possibility and if so how do we proceed, I received a automated response stating “We’ll get back to you within 2 working days”
following the slow response, I further filled in an online form for contact and tried contact by phone where I was on hold for 25 minutes and couldn’t wait any longer.
10 working days later on the 14/09/26 I received a response, they stated they DO NOT provide the service we are contracted at the new address area, they offered me a 5G line of sight service, this was top speeds of 100mbps for £39.99 per month, £11 increase and only 20% speed service of our current contracted amount, they stated the 14 day cooling off period is from the 27/07/26 so we were over that period, they said the only other option we had was we pay early termination charges to end the agreement early.
They advertise heavily “At Quickline we’re so confident in our service and price, that we offer a money back guarantee for the first 30 days of any new service.”
“Get the service we promise, or leave With no penalty. We’re that confident”
The 30 day guarantee starts from the date of activation, I was 25 days in to it when I notified them of moving property, which was as soon as I possibly could, if they had replied within the 2 day timeframe provided, with information I needed I would’ve also been able to explore different avenues alongside this 30 day guarantee.
Today they contacted me by phone, they even stated themselves that the 5G line of service is not an adequate alternative to a full fibre 500 broadband nor would it be suitable or good enough for what we needed the service for.
I explained over the phone that I cannot pay any ETC upfront as it’s just not feasible, they have offered to pay the total ETC of £390.00 over a 6 month period, I haven’t accepted this offer to split the ETC as of yet as I am unsure where I stand.
Our upload speed has dropped out of the 375mbps guaranteed range previously, I notified them of this in one of the previous emails when discussing this issue, but I was unaware I could check previously to this date, I assume this would be something they would check if you were having issues
Please help me on where I stand, I completely understand the obligation of a contract, but with the dates and the fact they have also failed on their sides in terms of information, I don’t know what’s right, what’s wrong or any in between, I’m just baffled. Thank you.
Comments
-
IMHO the fact that they exceeded their service level for responding to a query first raised within the 30 days doesn't actually compel them to extend that penalty-free guarantee period, so I can see why they'd regard it as an early termination outside that window, and unfortunately the fact that you're choosing to move to somewhere that doesn't have the equivalent comms infrastructure is a 'you' issue rather than a 'them' one.
However, failure to deliver the currently-contracted minimum speeds is a separate issue but one worth pursuing…
Perhaps worth posting on the broadband board or getting this thread moved there?
0 -
I've moved the post.
I hope you have good luck with getting it sorted.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅1 -
Agree with the above. The only other avenue worth investigating is another broadband provider. Many providers now offer to pay out your contract (up to a limit). If you can find one that offers that service AND covers both your current and future properties, you could potentially reduce your ETC and get a new service in your next home.
1 -
Yep, you can get up to £200 from many of the mainstream services which would offset the £390 over the 6 month period that I'm afraid the OP is due to the company. Any switching credit BTW is paid as credit on the new account so the £390 would still need to be paid at £65 a month. Hopefully if currently paying private rent the council house savings will cover that.
The speed guarantee means nothing if not reported at the time and they haven't fixed it within 30 days.
"If you do not get the service we promise and we can’t fix this within 30 days of you notifying us, you can leave with no penalty."
0 -
The easy way to avoid the ETC is to not take the council house. If you stay at your current address to the end of the contract you solve the problem. You are breaking the contract by leaving them unable to supply so you are liable to meet the contractual obligations you agreed to. Your quibble about response times is irrelevant, it doesn't void your obligations under the rest of the contract.
Your 14 day cooling off period had expired before you told them of the move and the 30 day penalty free exit period only relates to problems with the service supplied at your current abode, which you have not said is unsatisfactory or reported as a problem.
What you're left with is hoping they'll be nice to you and let you off, rather than making you stand by the contract you agreed to.
Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 20230 -
I imagine it's the overwhelming majority, but it's not always a credit - our supplier asked us for the receipt from Virgin for our ETC and transferred cash to our bank account.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

