We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Internet providers' own antivirus/security
What are you thoughts?
In the past, I have used the freebies, AVG, Avast etc. then I used to purchase my own Kaspersky, then got it free with Barclays Bank, until they stopped it.
I have just left BT/EE to join Plusnet, who both use Norton, but today I asked Plusnet customer services if it is the Norton 360 they provide and was told their version does not have all the tools that 360 has. It sounds like a version Norton have made just for Plusnet.
Do you use your ISP's antivirus/security, or use a freebie, or buy your own?
Is the Defender, already in Windows computers enough these days? I understand it is decent.
Comments
-
don’t use Windows but my understanding is that Microsoft Defender is good enough on its own.
1 -
I use Windows and Defender is fine and has the merit of not sending nagging emails and wanting renewal at cost as, say, Mcafee does.
1 -
Most people agree Defender is fine unless you are visiting pr0n/warez sites
0 -
Do have a copy of Malwarebytes (free) just for an occasional sweep "just in case", but Defender is the only thing running all the time.
Have got Norton as freebie with BT, have their SafeWeb browser extension running on Chrome.
0 -
Sorry I am still confused.
There is Microsoft Defender and Windows Security on my computer.
I am not logged into, or using Defender, but have just uninstalled the Plusnet Protect/Norton and Windows Security has kicked in and happily running.
I take it that this is all I need and more than adequate?
0 -
Yep that's fine.
Windows Security is the overall, built-in security app for Windows, Defender is the anti-virus bit of this, although it's not really addressed as a discrete part of the overall Security system.
0 -
If you've got the green tick against the shield icon then everything is fine. You don't need anything else on Windows besides perhaps an Ad blocker on the browser.
0 -
I depend upon Windows Defender ,although I have Malwarebytes( Free) also installed for occasional checks on both Windows PCs and my Android phone..
Do now get emails frequently re subscription to full versions of Malwarebytes s/ware - never used to happen , but it's easy to delete !
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



