We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Triple lock increase for April 2027 is 3.9% (probably)
Comments
-
Some informed comment on the double lock idea
It is easy to see how the greater of CPI and 2.5% each year would work. But the point is raised that there are a variety of mechanisms that could be employed to ensure the state pension 'hold its value relative to earnings over time'.
I came, I saw, I melted1 -
Over the last 15 years the state pension rose by 14% more than wages, I would guess that cost HMRC a lot of money. The NHS and public sector received below inflation pay rises, whilst the state pension increased well above inflation.
0 -
The NHS and public sector received below inflation pay rises
Though I doubt there were many full time employees earning £13k pa. Those state pensioners who don't also work or have an additional private pension are effectively "full time pensioners".
Autoenrollment should help reduce reliance on SP eventually, making the exact level relative to wages less critical, but that won't be the case for some years.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

