We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can I book a flight for somebody else ?

A neighbour has asked if I could book them a flight to Northern Ireland.

They want to go on a day trip to Belfast, from Newcastle, so it would be with Easyjet.

I tried to suggest they visit a travel agent but they're not that keen.

I obtained prices online for a certain day and just as an example I called into a local agent today and asked for a price for the same flights Their price was pretty much double, £79 rather than the £40.98 I found.

In both cases, booking a specific seat would be from £6.99 extra per flight, but if Easyjet allocates the seat, there is no more to pay

Is it simply a case of buying the ticket, then printing it out ?

«1

Comments

  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 2,808 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 September at 9:11PM

    Basically, yes. When you book you need to put the passenger name, but you can use your own payment details during the buying process.

    If you are also going to check them in you will need their identification documents such as their passport details, but this can usually be added later. Then you can just print them their boarding pass and they can go straight to the departure lounge if the don't have any hold baggage.

    They won't actually need a passport to fly to Northern Ireland from Newcastle, but they will need some kind of Photo ID with them, and a passport is by far the easiest method.

    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,685 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks for your reply.

    Could he just visit the airport and check-in there, even if on an earlier day.

    He has no computer and isn't very clued up with IT etc.

    Luckily he does have a free bus pass and gold card, for easy travel on our local Metro to the airport. Travel to check in would be easy enough .. and free

    The last time I flew you checked in at the airport just before departure.

  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 2,808 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 September at 10:34PM

    With Easyjet you can check in up to 30 days before departure, so you could do that for him too well beforehand…. and his return flight as well.

    I don't even know if Easyjet let you check in at the airport any more as I haven't done it that way in well over a decade!

    Then you just print his boarding passes for him and he takes them with him. I'm assuming he has a Passport or other acceptable Photo ID (see below)?

    PS. I know the Metro well…. I live in Benton. :-)

    Here's a few examples of photographic ID that is accepted by Easyjet from their website:

    • A valid passport - an expired passport can be used up to a maximum of five years after expiry
    • Valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
    • Valid photographic driving licence, provisional or full
    • Valid armed forces identity card
    • Valid police warrant card/badge
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
  • On-the-coast
    On-the-coast Posts: 774 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    as far as I’m aware easyJet insist that you check in online and print your boarding pass (or create an electronic copy)

    It’s one of the reasons the ticket is cheap - they don’t have to employ check in staff.

  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 5,070 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    It would be much easier and less hassle to teach him how to use an online boarding pass on a phone. I've not had a printed pass in years - except this year when the airline choose to change our seats last minute (not easyJet)

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,116 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Best bet have them with you when you do it & use their card to pay. Then any issues they can sort them out & not you.

    Life in the slow lane
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,256 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 12 September at 10:19AM

    I am old school. I don’t trust my phone not to run out of battery or throw a hissy fit at the last minute so I do use the app boarding passes but I usually have a printed copy as back up as well.

    Someone as untech savvy as the neighbour sounds Is probably going be happier with printed.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 2,808 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I do the same. Paper copies of boarding passes, insurance certificates and hotel and hire car bookings. in a plastic wallet along with the passports. Digital copies of all of the aforementioned in a Dropbox folder Syncronised onto both mine and my wife's phones. Better safe than sorry.

    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,685 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thank you again for the extra replies

  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    For a day trip I'd fly to Belfast City with Aer Lingus (Emerald airways). Its only a few minutes to the city centre by bus,

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.