Little miss pooey

Options
Hi all

A lovely question first thing in the morning , but here goes....

I have a new kitten (pic as my avatar) She sleeps upstairs in the bathroom at night where her litter tray is, so the two boys can't hurt her when we are not looking.

She uses the litter tray when she is in the bathroom, but when she is allowed to roam the house she uses other destinations as her toilet. I have put her nose up to it, shouted and put her in her litter tray, with no affect.

I have had her for almost a month now and she has been doing it for that long, my OH is threatening to give her away if I don't sort the problem out.

Tips Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase

Comments

• firesidemaid
    firesidemaid Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    you could put other cat litter trays in the other room/s she is allowed in - just until she gets used to it (you can get them for a pound each or less).

if anyone sees her about to 'go' then they should move her to a tray - easier said than done i know:rolleyes:
  • kylieM_2
    kylieM_2 Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    I have asked OH if we can have one downstairs it was a big fat NO, in his words "I don't want the whole house smelling like a farmyard" I suppose I can get one of those box litter trays with the flap, but I was wondering if she was strong enough to push it open.

I have caught her almost in the act a couple of times and rushed her on her litter tray, one time with her weeing all the way up the stairs. I have never had this problem before with the others.

Its like she is doing it on purpose lol
  • Tortieshell
    Options
    It sounds like you should get rid of your OH! LOL

Does he live with you? If not then you are entitled to put them wherever you want to! To be honest I cant think of any other way around it.

Best of Luck.
  • cat_saving_expert
    Options
    Well it seems she knows what a litter tray is for - a good start!
    Unfortunately cats can't be trained in the same way as dogs ' putting her nose up to it and shouting' just won't work with a cat, its ok to tell her off if you catch her in the act (a firm no! or naughty!) , but only then other wise the cat won't understand why your telling it off, even if the evidence is right in front of its nose.

I would suggest you put a litter tray in the other rooms she uses as a toilet - as others have suggested, buy a good quality litter, it won't smell like a farmyard if they are cleaned regularly and besides its only while the kitten is being trained and if she is never trained your house is gonna smell terrible in a few months anyway!
    Put the trays where she is currently 'going' and give lots of praise when she gets it right! Once shes got the idea you can slowly move the tray to where you want it.

Make sure the areas she has used as a toilet are cleaned up properly, even if you can't smell it, she probably can and will keep using the same areas because of it. You need something that breaks down the enzymes, there is a product from pets at home called 'simple solution' that is very good or you can mix up some biological washing powder into a paste and clean the area with that.
  • Bendybops19
    Bendybops19 Posts: 11,212 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly - please dont ever put your kittens nose up to her mess again - how would you like it??

Now thats off my chest :D (sorry, its a real bug bear for me)

The easiest way around this is to have more litter trays, shes too small to be legging it all the way up the stairs in to the bathroom when shes desperate for the loo.

Does she go in the same place alot? As cat saving expert has said - you need to totally break down the enzymes.
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
  • kylieM_2
    Options
    God what do you think I am, I would never put her nose in it, I basically show it to her, shout no and take her to her litter tray, it worked for the other 3. It obviously doesn't for her. I will take your advice and place a box with a flap ( more hygenic) in the kitchen by the side of the washing machine (madams toilet area).

The thing is she goes up the stairs sometimes to do her business. She obviously waits till the last minute most of the time and can't make it.
  • Bendybops19
    Bendybops19 Posts: 11,212 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry kylieM if i offended you - i shouldnt have got up on my high horse so quickly.

Could you just get one of the little kitten trays with a bit of wood pellet litter in it, and put it somehwhere out of sight so your OH doesnt know?

I really think it will solve your problem. She may be too small for a tray with a flap, i'm picking up my new kitten on Saturday and she cant use the same tray as her mum as it has a flap - shes just too little to push it open.
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    more litter trays around the house as a temporary measure. She's only tiny so when she wants to go she want to go NOW! just like any young child.

With more trays around just add a little bit of her used 'wee' litter into it so she knows it's her 'wee' and the tray is meant for her, gradually reduce the number of trays, get some scented candles so OH is not so objectionable. personally I'd get rid of him and not the kitten ;-))
  • TEENY
    TEENY Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    kylieM wrote: »
    I have asked OH if we can have one downstairs it was a big fat NO, in his words "I don't want the whole house smelling like a farmyard" I suppose I can get one of those box litter trays with the flap, but I was wondering if she was strong enough to push it open.

I have caught her almost in the act a couple of times and rushed her on her litter tray, one time with her weeing all the way up the stairs. I have never had this problem before with the others.

Its like she is doing it on purpose lol

Surely you could argue that it will smell like a farmyard if you don't have an extra tray !!!. It would only be til she is old enought to make it all the way upstairs

:A MUMS ARE ANGELS IN DISGUISE:A
  • kylieM_2
    Options
    TEENY wrote: »
    Surely you could argue that it will smell like a farmyard if you don't have an extra tray !!!. It would only be til she is old enought to make it all the way upstairs

I totally agree with you. The OH is gonna have to go lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport