We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lebara MSE gift card deal and turning auto renew off

masca
masca Posts: 107 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Hi. Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I've had a search but couldn't find anything.

I'm currently on an MSE Lebara sim only deal with a gift card expected after 6mths. My 6mths is up next week and ideally I want to deactivate the auto renew in time to stop the next payment. I have not yet received the email and gift card. Can I safely turn off auto renew now, or does this need to be enabled in order for the gift card to be issued? If the latter, does this mean that actually a 7th payment to Lebara is likely needed in order to qualify for the gift card?

Hope that all makes sense! Thanks in advance!

Comments

  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 5 September at 8:13PM

    It wouldn't surprise me if the gift card took 6 calendar months to arrive. While the lebara 'month' renews every 30 days. So if you bought in march the gift card would be due 4 days after the end of the 6th monthly cycle. I'd imagine the gift card t&c's says you still need to have an active plan but I may be wrong.

    Edit: found the t&c and it does state 180 days as the qualifying period, and then says the voucher will be sent within 60 days. But I'd be very wary of turning off auto renew before day 181;

    "Customers who cancel their plan or turn autorenewal off or switch to a different plan before the end of 180 days period, will not be eligible for the Gift Card"

  • masca
    masca Posts: 107 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 6 September at 6:59AM

    Finally found the T&Cs and am really annoyed at MSE!!! Granted I should have read the full T&Cs at the start, however I do feel that MSE should publish the following term (my bold) clearly up front as it differs substantially from Lebara's standard 30 days:

    2. You must also activate your SIM and start using it within 10 days of purchase to be eligible for the voucher.

    So I won't qualify for the gift card anyway and I've been paying more than necessary for the sim (or 2 sims in fact) for the past 3 months! I think I'll stick with TCB/Quidco offers in future...

  • masca
    masca Posts: 107 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Oh me of little faith!! 😊 Despite having turned off auto renew for both sim cards on Sunday, both gift cards popped into my inbox yesterday! The plans expire today and tomorrow.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.