We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

A safe way to share sensitive info?

2

Comments

  • I wonder about managing accounts for family members.

    Are the providers, not the holders, of the accounts aware of this?

    If your info was hacked and money stolen then might the account providers decline to compensate the account holders as they had shared details with a third party, i.e. you?

    I manage money for a relative but there is a POA in place.

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I doubt they're aware of it no.

    Also personally don't see a problem with it either.

    Been over this before here. Anything I do is with their say so. They're aware of everything, can say no at any time. I've said before that I'll happily stop but they want me to carry on with it as by their own admission they'd just let it all sit in a current account.

    Some times I think all this what if is just overkill. Like what if a rock fell out of the sky & hit me on the head while I was wearing a hard hat but it pierced the hard hat & dropped me dead. After all, it's not impossible. Just unlikely.

    If anything did get hacked then what's to say they weren't sat at my computer doing what I'm doing because they don't have a PC?

    🤐🤐🤐

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I've already said why I trust cloud storage over USB.

    What I do where annual leave is required is dictated by when the annual leave is. It's already booked & so that's when a will will be done.

    Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to get much of an answer on this by the looks of it. I did suspect the thread would go the way of being off topic & trying to sway paper copies.

    Sadly even for the posts which poo-poo the idea they don't even seem to go in to the why.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • "Also personally don't see a problem with it either."

    The account providers may.

    The thread is trying to provide practical answers. You can ignore them if they don't suit.

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    What the thread is FOR is to answer the question.

    I can't stop people suggesting other ways but at the very least the original question should be answered and I don't feel it has been.

    "the account providers may"

    And that rock may put a hole in my hard hat.

    I haven't clicked the link yet but I'll take a look in the morning. The title at least makes it seem like it could be suitable so thanks.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • "I'm looking to see whether there's a safe cloud based shareable option for this."

    Given that hacks can occur then I would say the answer is - no.

    Hope this helps.

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Could you explain how it bypasses super long scrambled passwords and also 2FA?

    Again, not challenging you, I'm simply asking. You obviously have more knowledge than I because I don't know how it works & you say it does.

    I've had things be hacked in the past with weak passwords. I can wrap my head around how that works quite easily.

    I've had 2FA on my iPhone & had ATTEMPTS made but they only ever got as far as needing the physical phone to get to the next step which they obviously never had. Side note - always eastern countries.

    So as my experience of 2FA is that it makes things safe, how then is it still not safe?

    🤐🤐🤐

  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I have a lot of accounts and clearly when I'm dead I would like my family to be able to find them. I have a list of all of the organisations and account numbers and also where all my bills are (utility/TV/Broadband etc) and insurance policies just to make life easier for them to sort things out. There are no passwords to access the accounts.

    It's all in a password protected MS Word document (17 letter complex password) which is saved under an unrelated name and as I update it I send it to a few family members. They do not have the password, the password is with my will so will be available to them when I'm gone.

    So in my case a burglar would have to:

    1. Find my will
    2. Find my Laptop
    3. get into my Laptop (8 digit password)
    4. Find the document within about 1000 on my laptop
    5. crack the 17 digit strong password

    and at the end only get an account number

    I'm sure many will say that's not secure enough but I feel it's complex enough for me. When you think of how many people share bank details for payments with perfect strangers (which I would never do) This is safe enough for my needs.

  • If you do a search for "Can cloud storage be hacked" you'll find various ways that it can be done. Obviously there are ways to mitigate the possibility but there may well be a weak link, somewhere in the chain.

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.