We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

A safe way to share sensitive info?

B0bbyEwing
B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

The basis of this would be bank info - bank names, account sort codes/numbers (but no passwords) and then what to do with said accounts in the event of emergency/death.

As I understand it, Google Drive isn't the most secure of things.

What about doing this kind of thing within Proton Drive? As far as my understanding is, things are encrypted within Proton Drive & I assume they have some kind of share feature.

Yes I'm aware you may keep this on a piece of paper in a folder in your office cabinet at home but that's not what I'm actually asking. I'm looking to see whether there's a safe cloud based shareable option for this.

🤐🤐🤐

«13

Comments

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,092 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    How are they going to access the drive? Or are you sharing the sign-on/password with them?

    Life in the slow lane
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    Put the information (including the passwords if you want) on a USB stick and keep it with your will - mention in your will that the info is on the stick.

    I wouldn't trust any cloud service to keep things private., particularly in this aga of AI hacking.

  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    USB sticks are not the most reliable either. Proton Drive is an order of magnitude more secure than Google Drive. You then have problems with others being able to use passwords, 2 factor authentication to a lost phone, or forgotten email account, etc.

    Is there a problem leaving a note with the will stating there are accounts at Bank X and Building Society Y? When presented with a will and probate by the executor, the bank/bs will give the executor access to the account. It is something they deal with every day.

  • StewedApple
    StewedApple Posts: 189 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper

    You can share encrypted drives in Proton - whether you should is another matter.

    https://proton.me/support/drive-how-to-share-files-via-email

    My difficulty is that Proton is likely to be a target precisely because of its security features.

    You may find handwritten details are much more secure with burglary and fire being the main risks, they may also be more accessible to a trusted executor than electronic methods.

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Well with Google you share a link to a file & they access it.

    I assume (so could be wrong) there'd be a similar option with Proton. Maybe they'd need a Proton account also but even if they did that then they'd be able to access the shared file - like with Google Drive.

    Or does Proton not work like that?

    🤐🤐🤐

  • booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 964 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 4 September at 8:17PM

    I see an argument for storing both a digital copy in the cloud (passworded & encrypted with 7zip which is strong encryption) as well as the physical USB stick. I'd also have a URL to the cloud file along with password and instructions on paper stashed somewhere.

    "Bit rot" is a thing, and USB and other forms of physical media do degrade over time.

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I don't currently have a will but it's on the to-do list for this year.

    Still, I'd trust cloud storage over a USB drive.

    Google bit rot.

    Only recently learned about it. When I did I checked out a number of SD cards & USB drives. Sure enough one such USB drive was toast.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    The situation here is I manage family members accounts for them. That'll raise a few eyebrows here on the "you can't do that" line but so be it. There's a difference between can't & shouldn't & nothing is done without approval.

    Regards passwords - these are all within Bitwarden for them. They can access their own accounts any time they wish.

    Problem is, say I dropped dead as soon as I hit post comment on this, they wouldn't have a clue what to do with what - hence what I'd store which would be info to simplify everything for them or what they'd need to do should they ever want to start learning about having their money work a bit harder than just 1 current account & 1 savings account.

    So that's what the info would basically be. Close this account, transfer money from that account, so on & so forth.

    Regards leaving it with a will, well I assume having the will at home isn't a great idea (fire/flood & all that jazz) so I'm guessing you mean held with a solicitor. If so then I'd be calling him every 5mins to change the info after a new account gets opened, an old one closed etc.

    And I assume that a solicitor will be like any other company you try to get hold of - they start work after I do & they finish before I do & none of them will work a weekend making them impossible to get hold of outside of annual leave like every other company.

    Hence me asking about cloud services & their security.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 4 September at 7:28PM

    I'm asking this from a know nothing POV rather than a challenging you POV….

    but if it's encrypted & you have 2FA turned on then what's the problem? My understanding of encryption is it's ridiculously difficult to hack in to.

    Obviously the password wouldn't be "password", I'm talking like one of those 15-20 character nonsense passwords randomly generated.

    Then there's the possibility of an encrypted file container (Veracrypt) containing the info within Proton Drive. While you can never be too safe I guess, I wonder if that's overkill & encrypted Proton Drive is fine enough. Though I don't know - hence me being here asking.

    Though granted, I wont know whether the people responding are the types to say paying with your phone is funny business & they're against any of that modern day stuff or whether they're not. You don't know whether you're dealing with someone's belief or whether anyone is responding with facts.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 4 September at 7:28PM

    "Still, I'd trust cloud storage over a USB drive."

    Why is that?

    There is no need to keep changing a Will any time accounts change. Unless of course specific accounts are to be allocated to specific beneficiaries.

    If making a Will is on your to-do list then arrange it sooner rather than later.

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.