We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Route planner that lets me avoid a certain road
There are 2 major road works nearby that are going to be more than few months. Is there a route planner I can use that I can add a certain road or junction to avoid. I don't like sat navs just looking for an app that will let me see an alternative way. Thanks
Comments
-
The only success I've had for this kind of thing is to manually put in some route points that I know will take me past or to where I want to go.
Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.phpFor free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.3 -
BRouter, the bike routing map, is what you want.
You can mark on the map any number of 'No-Go Areas'.
1 -
Google Maps will account for traffic holdups when planning a route.
0 -
It didn't help today. Just shows red lines now where the roadworks are but isn't offering any alternatives
1 -
Thank you I will take a look at it
0 -
It May be thats still the fastest route, even with the roadworks....
0 -
That could be because its still the fastest route.
0 -
We have major roadworks on our main route into the nearest town, ongoing until Spring 2027. I have to say, google maps are incredibly reliable (as long as you add 10 minutes 'just in case'). The journey time has ranged from 40 minutes (before traffic management sorted out some issues) to 8 minutes (the 'usual expected journey time'). The journey times change from minute-to-minute and (AIUI) are generated by actual journeys. We are always given the choices of at least one additional possible route - although it's 50% longer, distance wise.
#2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £3660 -
Indeed, it will give another option if something seems better - but the chances are, everybody else has already considered and/or is already stuck on those routes too.
To force it manually to explore another option, either add a suitable waypoint to your route, or (on the desktop at least) drag the route to the way you wish to go.
1 -
I use Waze, although it's a sat nav on your phone it gives you various routes when you first set it up and if you deliberately go off the route it will re-calculate whilst you are driving. That might help. It also reports mobile speed cameras etc which might be useful.
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

