We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Does BT assume you'll stay loyal regardless?

My BT broadband contract is expiring on 31st October and they have already started pestering me with numerous phone calls and emails trying to get me to recontract with them. I am currently paying £40.99 for 500mb. I clicked on the link provided and they only offered me one deal which was 900mb for the same price £40.99. I don't need higher speed, there is only me in the house and I only use it mainly for TV.

I decided to have a quick look at U-Switch and a new BT customer can have 500mb at £27.99. Armed with that info I contacted BT. They said they couldn't offer me that but if I went with EE they could offer me 500mb at £38.99 a massive £2 a month less. By the way new customer at EE is £24.99 a month. I simply declined and said I'd be looking to move when my contract ended.

I have been very happy with my BT broadband so ideally would like to stay, but as I get closer to the end of my contract am I likely to get a better deal? Do they ever match new customer prices or even come close to it?

Failing that the best alternative offer is actually Vodaphone at 910mb or 500mb at £25 and a slightly less annual rise. I'm reluctant on principle to move to their sister company EE. Any other provider recommendations?

«1

Comments

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 September at 8:56AM

    We've just renewed woth youfibre. 1800mbps for £28 per month. Very happy with their service, and our renewal offer was better than I could get on their website as a new customer....its a 24 month contract with no price change guaranteed.

  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 21,911 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 1 September at 11:04AM

    Do you really need 500Mb if it's only you in the house, that sort of speed is only really needed if there are several people streaming 4K video or gaming etc. We've been happy with 35Mb for a long time and it's fine for streaming TV with no buffering, and now have 150 only because it was cheaper! There are loads of deals for that sort of speed at a bit over £20 a month, see

    Compare Broadband Deals September 2026 | Cheap Broadband Finder

    ETA: see this uswitch article, you only need a few Mbs for standard streaming and even 4K streaming only needs 25Mbs. There's no way someone on their own needs anywhere near 500Mbs except for very specialised needs.

    What broadband speed do I need for streaming? - Uswitch

  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 1 September at 10:08AM

    Although you are clearly near the end of the minimum term , it’s still the best part of 2 months away , in my case (also with BT ) the ‘offers’ to renew got better the closer to expiration of the minimum term I got , and eventually the offer was pretty much the same as a new customer , so you may find the offers now are not worth bothering with , and as switching can be arranged with very short notice , you probably can leave it at least 6 weeks before you start looking seriously, I don’t know why brands like BT do this , but you always have the ultimate sanction to leave if the best deal they offer isn’t competitive, but the best deal offered by BT won’t be for a few weeks .

  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Most deals are for 24 months and an increase is given that will apply April 27 and 28, I always add these on and then compare.

  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 5,915 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Ultimately they think / know most people will just stay, hence not offerign you much of a deal a this stage. As it gets closer to the end date OR if you actually go ahead and cancel you may get better offers via retentions. No certainty and I haven't experienced it with BT but have done with a few others.

    If you're happy with staying with BT then why is EE being interlinked a problem? Just pick the best deal and go with it, if BT call you back via retentions then weigh that up at the time.

  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 21,911 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler

    The MSE comparison page (link above) does all that for you and accounts for any incentives as well, you can click on the ? for details. The current PlusNet offer looks the best and is £20.95/month accounting for price increases and incentives. It's for 145Mbs but no normal usage needs more than that.

    Sky looks cheaper at first glance but they say prices are "variable" ie might increase during the term without specifying how much so it could be more expensive.

  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 September at 12:45PM

    Ditto. We have up to 3 people streaming (or simultaneously gaming), 2 remotely accessed media servers and I work from home with Teams / large file transfers, and get more than enough speed from my 200mbps from Virgin for £22 per month.

    My contract has actually varied between 50mbps to 1,200mbps over the last 5 years, and apart from me doing specific speed tests, nobody else in the house even noticed! 🙂

    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    "Sky looks cheaper at first glance but they say prices are "variable" ie might increase during the term without specifying how much so it could be more expensive."

    Yes but if they do they give 30 days to give notice of leaving with out penalties. Last April they told me of £3 increase, I objected so they reduced my March payment by £3 so in effect I stayed the same.

  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    @zagfles

    £30.99/mth on 31 Mar 2028 with plusnet thats the price I would use to compare.

  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 7,251 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Curious what people do with all that throughput. I'm still on FTTC at 80Mbps and the only time I ever find that limiting is downloading a new game that's hundreds of gigabytes so I had to wait a couple of hours, which has happened once (BG3). It's more than adequate to run a remote desktop that I can access from worldwide over my home VPN.

    Only me, it's not like there are six infants all streaming individual episodes of Peppa Pig in 4k at the same time on their new ipads though!

    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.