We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lost phone number FTTP

AndyPK
AndyPK Posts: 4,426 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
edited 31 August at 11:02AM in Broadband & internet access

So I transferred from Vodafone FTTP to Sky (using the offer on here on ~20Aug)

During the sign up process I selected I wanted to keep my existing phone number and the process confirmed I could.

When I was transfered over (in less than 24 hours!! I may add) I have been given a different phone number. I recall the same thing happened with vodafone but they eventually fixed it after sounding very confused.

The first time I phoned Sky they said they could sort it and it would take 1 week and I would get regular email updates. As no case appeared to be open on my account and I had no update I phoned again after 6 days.

This time I was told it was not possible to transfer my number unless I cancelled and resigned up. (not sure how that would exactly work anyway!!)

Any comments on this? Do I just keep calling Sky? Takes 30mins every time.

I've been given a Sky number starting with a 4. Already had one spam call!

Comments

  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,941 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I recently moved to Sky and had a different issue. My experience of their support staff is that they are largely incompetent and will tell you anything to make you go away. So based on that, I would personally not be relying on them to do anything, but you never know

    Ceased numbers are quarantined for 30 days so should be recoverable by a competent VOIP provider such as A&A or Voipfone. A&A is Pay as you Go, Voipfone have plans with inclusive minutes. If you go down this route, you will need your own equipment - either an ATA which allows you to re-use your analogue phones or an IP phone.

    The problem could be if Sky do recover the number, and then you have instructed another provider to port it. However, you would have to provide the Voda account number as part of the order so I would think the port would fail if it had been successfully transferred to Sky.

  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,233 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I had a similar issue with Vodafone some years back, just a provider switch on FTTC not to FTTP, took them a couple of days
    to give me my number back. I probably called them daily because I did not want to lose my original number that I had for
    many years and needed because the in laws were not in good health so we were the emergency number if the in house
    wardens could not reach them and it would have been time consuming to update everyone.

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,426 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts

    Called Sky again. Opened a case and given me a number.

    They were Wanting me to cancel and re-signup. I'm sure they get commission resigning up!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.