We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Beko washer-dryer failed after ~1 year, flooded kitchen – Beko refuses responsibility

JonnyMK
JonnyMK Posts: 21 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 30 August at 7:37AM in Consumer rights

I want to share my experience with Beko because I would strongly recommend that anyone considering a Beko washing machine or washer-dryer thinks very carefully about the level of manufacturer support they can actually expect when something goes seriously wrong.

I bought a Beko WDIK854411F washer-dryer from AO, which was supplied and installed by AO. After approximately a year of relatively light domestic use, it suffered a serious water-level/filling fault.

During a wash, the machine overfilled and subsequently unlocked with a substantial amount of water still inside. The door opened and water escaped into my kitchen, causing significant flooding. I spent approximately three hours dealing with the water. The vinyl flooring lifted and water penetrated the base of the kitchen units, causing swelling, bubbling and peeling of the laminate.

I have photographic and video evidence of the flooding, the amount of water, the resulting damage and the appliance displaying abnormal behaviour.

I subsequently tested the machine empty and reproduced the fault. It again overfilled and leaked heavily out of the detergent drawer and upper section of the machine. I have a video of this controlled test. The spin and drain function operated normally, so there was no blockage or drain issue.

I contacted Beko and they arranged an engineer inspection for 4 August. I waited in for the engineer, but the engineer did not turn up. I was told the contractor's engineer was unavailable. On the day, Beko's Consumer Care team, AO and I were all unable to contact the contractor. I also repeatedly called the contractor myself, with the calls going directly to voicemail.

So the inspection Beko now relies upon never took place despite me being available and cooperating fully with the appointment Beko arranged.

Because of the missed appointment and the nature of the fault, I had no confidence in Beko's ability to repair the machine. Beko also would not replace the faulty machine, despite it being only around a year old and having a stated 2-year manufacturer warranty. AO therefore had to replace the machine under my statutory consumer rights to get the immediate problem resolved.

Beko's warranty appears to not be worth the paper its wrote on.

I then pursued Beko for the consequential damage to my kitchen.

Beko's response has been particularly concerning. They have refused the claim because their engineer never inspected the machine in situ. I have repeatedly explained that I did not prevent that inspection — Beko's appointed contractor failed to attend.

I also reproduced the fault myself under controlled conditions and have photographic and video evidence of it. I offered Beko the opportunity to inspect the defective appliance after AO collected it. They refused, saying that an inspection away from the original installation would have limited evidential value.

So Beko arranged an inspection, failed to have it carried out, and then used the absence of that inspection as the reason for refusing my claim. When I subsequently offered them an opportunity to inspect the appliance, they refused that too.

I find this completely unacceptable.

The machine didn't merely develop a minor leak. It overfilled during normal use, flooded my kitchen and subsequently reproduced the same abnormal filling and leaking behaviour when tested empty. I have evidence documenting what happened.

Beko's final position is that they will not accept responsibility for the resulting damage because they don't have an engineer's report establishing the cause. I consider that an entirely unreasonable position given the circumstances, particularly when the missing engineer report is the result of an appointment arranged by Beko that their own contractor failed to attend. Furthermore, there is nothing in the installation or surrounding environment that could cause the machine to overfill itself. The machine controls how much water enters the drum, and the same overfilling behaviour was subsequently reproduced with the appliance empty. A new washing machine has since been installed using the same water supply, connections and drainage arrangements and is operating normally.

I have now been left with the cost and inconvenience of dealing with the property damage myself. I have also lost confidence in Beko to such an extent that I paid the difference to upgrade to an AEG rather than accept another Beko appliance.

My advice to other consumers is simple: think very carefully before buying Beko. A cheap appliance isn't cheap if it fails catastrophically and the manufacturer then refuses to take responsibility for the consequences.

After this experience, I will not buy Beko again and I would encourage others to consider alternative manufacturers.

I'd be particularly interested in hearing from other MSE users:

  • Has anyone else experienced a serious failure with a Beko appliance, particularly one that caused consequential property damage?
  • Have you had a similar experience with another manufacturer?
  • Did you pursue a claim against the manufacturer for consequential damage?
  • If you took the matter to court, did you represent yourself through the small claims process or use a solicitor?
  • Were you successful, and what evidence did you rely upon?
  • Is there anything you would recommend doing before deciding whether to issue a claim?

I'd particularly appreciate hearing from anyone who has actually pursued a Consumer Protection Act/product-liability claim for property damage, rather than simply a warranty or replacement claim.

«13

Comments

  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I have a Beko freezer which was defrosting on the top 3 shelves right at the start of the first heatwave. It was 18 months old. I contacted Boots where I purchased it from and after a bit of a battle they arranged a repair with Beko. Boots kept telling me it was out of warranty but I insisted on speaking to a manager and told him I was claiming under the consumer rights act, he eventually accepted this and put me through to Beko who came out and fixed it.

  • JonnyMK
    JonnyMK Posts: 21 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 30 August at 7:54AM


    Yeah, I used the Consumer Rights Act to get a replacement machine from AO. Although I did have to pay extra to ugprade to an AEG given the replacement Beko was also faulty, and the experience with the original fault and after sales I lost confidence in Beko at this point.

    Are you saying it's worth perusing the damages claim against AO the retailer instead of Beko ? that's not something I've explored yet so might be worth it. I believe damages claims fall under Consumer Protection Act, but I haven't any experience with it.

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,454 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Your consumer rights are with the supplier not the manufacture. Have you disposed of the faulty machine?

  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 13,098 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    The CPA is almost certainly irrelevant, the CRA gives far creater protections in almost all instances. Your only claim is against AO, you have no claim against Beko. Whether it is with it is entirely up to you.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,092 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Are you sure that the drain filter is not blocked causing the over filling?

    House ins for damage to kitchen.

    Life in the slow lane
  • JonnyMK
    JonnyMK Posts: 21 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker


    AO took the machine away when replacing it, and they have confirmed to me that the serial number in question was sent back to the manufacturer through their normal faulty-returns process.

    I did a bit of research and it appears Beko/Hotpoint have a facility in Peterborough where returned and refurbished appliances are handled, and there is a factory shop selling repaired/replaced machines. So the machine has not simply disappeared or been destroyed — it remains entirely possible for Beko to carry out diagnostics and produce a technical report if they wanted to.

    Beko are refusing to do so because the machine is no longer in situ. Given that the in-situ engineer appointment they arranged never actually happened, through no fault of mine, and they are now relying on the absence of that inspection as their reason for not investigating further, I have to say the whole situation feels very unsatisfactory. Especially as there is nothing about the installation that could cause the machine itself to overfill and leak from the top/front in the way it did. The machine controls how much water it allows into the drum, and the same overfilling behaviour was subsequently reproduced with the machine empty. The replacement AEG machine is also functioning perfectly on the same water connection.

    I obviously can't say that this was deliberately orchestrated, but from my perspective it does raise questions about why the failed engineer appointment is now being used as a reason to avoid any further investigation when the appliance is still potentially available to the manufacturer. I suspect I may not be the only consumer who has found themselves in this position.

  • JonnyMK
    JonnyMK Posts: 21 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker


    Yes I am 100% sure because as I explained in the main post, I used the drain/spin function to get the water out on the second controlled test.

    When the drum filled with water it was over 80% full which is not normal. And I have a photo of this. I think the machine was not sensing water coming in so it just kept filling. Which is also the reason the door unlocked while it was full of water.

  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 13,098 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    In situ inspection is perfectly reasonable, one missed appointment is not enough for you to dismiss that unfortunately. Under the CPA you would have to prove a "safety defect" and there are strict requirements for that and my already having removed and disposed of (regardless of if it ends up back at a Beko facility) it would no longer pass the legal threshold.

    Your rights against AO are much easier to enforce, especially as they have admitted fault (which does not count against Beko), so you either claim against AO, or your home insurance.

  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 13,098 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    That photo/video is not evidence of the fault, it is evidence of the symptoms of a fault.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.