We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pension Drawdown - HMRC are an absolute joke

2

Comments

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,730
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Take some more later in the year.

    OP This is something to consider. If you take a payment in May and it gets taxed but you then take another payment in March (even if it is a small one) that March payment can get you a refund of the tax over-deducted in May.

    It happened to me a few years ago and because I wasn't used to the PAYE system I thought someone had made a mistake or paid two months in one go because the net payment was more than one month's gross should have been but oh no it was a tax refund.

    What you need to do is make sure the only or final payment is made in March so that you get the benefit of all your personal allowance for the year instead of just one month of it. And it saves making a claim and fretting about what is taking so long

    Working out the system and how to use it makes life easier and saves on the ranting.

  • horsewithnoname
    horsewithnoname Posts: 1,154
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Tell your MP you want public services properly resourced. That’s the real issue

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 420
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    two things can be true.

    • this is the normal way that HMRC works so no need to get het up about it
    • since pension freedoms perhaps HMRC could have adapted to accommodate retirees drawing down with a simpler system than PAYE systems use
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 4,085
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I do have some sympathy with the OP at least in terms of the time taken to process the P55.

    But you've hit the nail on the head about why the system works in the way that it does. HMRC have no way of knowing whether a taxable withdrawal in say May is going to be the only withdrawal of the year.

    When the P55 is sent to HMRC the claimant is essentially saying 'yes it is the only payment I'm going to take from this pension this year'. And obviously the claimant could lie about this take a further payment and then claim they've changed their mind. I'm not sure what would happen then, would the provider have knowledge of the P55 refund and hence the correct tax would be paid from the second payment, so the correct total tax but paid later than normal allowing for the P55 refund. But if they did the same thing the following year perhaps questions would be asked.

    But you can understand that requiring the declaration (and tax correction) through the P55 rather than through a statement to the provider when the first payment is made, something which would more importantly require huge system changes at HMRC to implement, does make sense.

    The current system is a mess though. I got a P55 refund of about 3K in 2024/2025 and HMRC then didn't take into account that I had been paid that refund and as part of simple assessment for that tax year wanted to pay me the 3K again in late 2025! I couldn't get HMRC to accept this was wrong and in the end had to complain to stop them paying me 3K I wasn't due. I thought things were resolved but then a few months ago they put a new simple assessment on my account for 2024/2025 which again missed the P55 refund. They then sent me a cheque for the 3K. When I rang HMRC up they at least quickly this time realised this was wrong and told me to tear up the cheque and not cash it. You wonder how many people have been in that same situation and just cashed the cheque!

    I came, I saw, I melted
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 7,604
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Senior Ambassador

    I have found it a bit of a challenge dealing with them in this interim time for me - redundancy last year, only taking up to £12570 this year then from next year I will be taking up to the 20% threshold. They have done some weird stuff - acknowledged that my employment was over but then adding a second employment at the same place with an estimated income of the remainder I would have earned in a full year; then adding private health and other BIK against HL when I took a small pot; then removing the health but leaving the other benefit against HL. I am still trying to get them to agree that 3 month employment means I only get 3 months BIK so the tax will be wrong when they finally calculate it for last year. No idea how long that will take. I had to write a letter to get the rogue employment entry removed. This year the non health BIK is still lurking and they have allowed for £1009 untaxed income from investments despite me drawing down less than £1000 pcm to stay under the 0% threshold so I have plenty of personal allowance to play with. I couldn't find any way to communicate all this via app/website so have resorted to writing another letter.

    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • leosayer
    leosayer Posts: 922
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I'm with the OP.

    I hate the fact that HMRC help themselves to our money and then we have to wait months for the refund.

    I moved to monthly drawdown to mitigate this and it helped to a degree but they're still taking too much tax and the system seems designed to make it impossible to correct in real time.

  • ali_bear
    ali_bear Posts: 703
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    They make if very difficult to pay too little tax, so at least we can rest assured that there won't be a bill for unpaid coming down the track.

    But they are too opaque in the way they make your tax calculations and terribly slow at issuing them. I know I paid too much last year - the year of my retirement - but I can't see any figures relating to it and have to just wait for it to come out, with a refund hopefully in the next couple of months.

    🐻 A little FIRE lights the cigar 
  • juliedee4663
    juliedee4663 Posts: 284
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I don't take it all in one go. That is just the first of a couple of instalments. Later payments obviously don't need me to apply for a tax refund.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,881
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    In which case, don't bother reclaiming. When you do your later withdrawals, it will start correcting. And if you do run in month 12 providing it's not too much out, it will fully correct itself.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.