We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pension Drawdown - HMRC are an absolute joke

I retired 5 years ago and as I am not yet state pension age have been living off Pension Drawdown (as has my husband, both with separate pensions). Every year when the new tax allowance comes in my husband draws out the maximum within his tax allowance and a couple of months later I do the same. This means that each year we both have to go through the rigmarole of claiming back the tax which is automatically taken out. I drew down at the end of May and immediately made a tax refund claim. Three months later I am STILL waiting for the refund to come through which is absolutely ridiculous. This is a couple of thousand pounds of my money that they are hanging on to.

Absolutely fuming and just wanted to have a rant.

«13

Comments

  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 6,868 Forumite
    Twentieth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 28 August at 5:41PM

    Form checker says they are currently processing claim forms received on 2nd June.

    Doing it online on the app is a little quicker than post.

  • juliedee4663
    juliedee4663 Posts: 284 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks, should have added that I received a message 2 weeks ago saying they were working on the claim and needed to do security checks.

  • kermchem
    kermchem Posts: 287 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    If an employee arranged with their employer that they were going to receive all of their annual salary during the month of May then they would experience the same challenges. The PAYE tax system is designed to deduct tax “as you earn”.
    Is there a strong reason to draw all your pension in one go rather than a portion each month?

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,691 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Or maybe draw it all in March instead of May. (Not this tax year of course)

  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,351 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Take evasive action! The system isn't going to change any time soon, so why not do as suggested above and change the timing/pattern of your drawdown. That way more of your cash remains invested for longer, and you can reduce your levels of fuming.

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Green_hopeful
    Green_hopeful Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    it’s quite boring to deal with. I have the same. It could be easily resolved with them accepting what you are doing. I was made redundant and put my redundancy money in a sipp. I ended up making repeated tax reclaims. Quite trying. I don’t see why we have to take repeated payments to meet the tax office’s requirements.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,043 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    You don't have to, but that is a currently available way of avoiding having to reclaim tax, whereas hoping for significant reform to how PAYE works isn't…

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    April onwards is the busiest time for HMRC.

    Self assessment returns are submitted from 6 April onwards. Subcontractors who know they will be due refunds will have ve everything ready to complete and submit their return so as soon as possible.

    From May you are into the holiday period so reduced staff numbers available.

    Add to this the government have regularly reduced the staffing levels.

    I submitted details for my cl as I’m which was registered as received 27 April. I got my repayment and amended code number two weeks ago.

    While such a delay is not right it is normal in the present circumstances.

    The person to direct your rant to is your MP.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.