We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PureTech engines / motor ombudsman
Comments
-
Full service history but we didn't know the manufactures guidance re the wet belt had been changed form 10 yrs to 6 so didn't know the belt was overdue a change.
Full service history who with?
Did you have the car from new?
Manufacture will have included belt change, good independent, will have advised change due, but owner may have said no.
The likes of Halfords & Kwik Fit, do not seem to do manufacture servicing. Only their own levels.
Life in the slow lane0 -
no we didn't own the car from new. Serviced by independent garages. We only did one service, also at an independent garage.
0 -
Hi, wondering if you have got any further with this. As of this week, I am in a similar position having been told I need a new engine as the compression/piston rings have failed in my PureTech engine. The car is only 8.5 years old and has been regularly serviced, but not within the new guidelines. Also the previous owner missed a service and not all have been with a Citreon dealer. I was thinking of making a claim to Stellantis but having read your comments, I think it will be thrown out despite the fact that the engine is obviously not fit for purpose.
0 -
hi, no I haven't. I've put in a section 75 claim with my credit card and am waiting to hear from them. I dknt think I will get any further with the motor ombudsman,
Not all our services were with Citreon and that didn't seem to be a problem but they were done every year.
I don't know how they're getting away with it as these cars are clearly unfit for purpose!I found this financial ombudsman decision which is a similar ish case where they decided the cars weren't of satisfactory quality/durable enough straight off the manufacturing line. Could be helpful for anyone who can go to the financial ombudsman?
0 -
Thank you for the update, please let us know how the Section 75 claim goes. I assume you paid (>£100) of the purchase of the car on your credit card?
0 -
Haven't read the entire thread but as long as the value of the item is between £100.01 and £30000 the amount paid by card can be any amount at all. It doesn't need to be greater than £100.
0 -
yes we paid a £500 deposit on the credit card. I'll update when I get a response from the cc company. Have you attempted a claim with stellantis?
0 -
I had a similar experience on my Vauxhall Combo 1.2 Puretech.
Car was dealer serviced for 1st 3 years, then by my local garage for the 1st year I owned it. Wet belt failed at 5 years old 68,000 miles. My local garage actually shows better proof than the dealer service book which oil and parts were used!
My local garage had to do a top end rebuild and of course installed the latest spec belt. Since the failure happened before December 2024 and fully serviced within the time & mileage, it would have been eligible for compensation on the Stellantis portal. However, their terms state that it would have to be diagnosed and repaired by a Stellantis network dealer. Since their Portal didn't exist until May 2025, I couldn't have known that particular term. So they won't compensate me.
Despite continuing to service the car on time, using the correct oil etc, it is now guzzling oil and I expect it to fail again sometime soon.This facebook group (if you can understand French) has over 56,000 members.
PSA 1.2 Puretech Problemes : Courroie , Surconsommation D’huile, Moteur HS | FacebookThey are in the process of collective criminal action against Stellantis over this engine via the MyLeo Portal.
You can see what stage they're at by translating the page to English. The downside of course is, it could take years, by which time, our cars will be baked bean tins.
Stellantis PureTech | MyLeo0 -
thanks funqi. I believe stellantis extended the warranties due to this legal action rumbling on? These cars are are clearly not fit for purpose.
0 -
I don't know if it is directly as a result of this action, but for sure they're not at all satisfied with Stellantis's response, hence the continuing action which, if the page translation is correct, they have now escalated to a criminal case.
This is the Puretech compensation portal for UK
PureTech Compensation Platform | Stellantis
It states: "If you had repair expenses with these engines due to excessive oil consumption and/or premature degradation of the timing belt between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2024, you may be entitled to financial compensation."That's a very narrow timeline given these engines have been around for a long time now. Deadline is 31st December 2024, this portal didn't even go online until May 2025!
Despite that, you will see on the facebook groups and forums many people who have successfully made a claim. Given that you have to prove that you have maintained your car strictly in accordance with their recommendations in order to qualify, that kind of proves that a properly maintained car is no guarantee that it won't prematurely fail due to the these issues.The newer Puretech engines from around 2023 onwards (I think) now have timing chains instead of wet belts. Not much help to those who have already lost thousands on cars they bought before that. There is a company called Pro Chain who have made an aftermarket conversion kit which costs around £750, but they will only sell it to a professional garage. There is a garage in Milton Keynes who replace piston rings on the non-turbo Puretech engines for around £600, which is bloody great! They quoted me £2500 for my car, since the turbo engine has to be removed to do the job.
Since my car is a business vehicle and the repairs are partially tax deductible, it's still probably more economical for me to go all in and get the piston rings replaced and the chain conversion done (and do the clutch whilst it's out because there will be no additional labour cost) and hope I can get another 4 years or so out of it.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards