We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

EE charging premium rate for relay calls

ripplyuk
ripplyuk Posts: 2,972 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

I have neurological problems which mean I cannot speak for much of the time and use the Relay U.K. app for making calls. Recently I tried to phone my local doctor but the call was immediately cut off, and I got a message from EE saying I’d reached my charge cap limit (which is zero). This made no sense because I have unlimited calls to U.K. landlines and mobiles included in my monthly plan.

I contacted EE on their live chat and after 2.5hrs of repeating the problem to various agents and being passed to a manager, I was told that relay calls are an extra charge and the only way to solve this was to increase my charge cap. I knew this was wrong but I was getting desperate so I agreed to increase it to £10 but requested that this was now logged as a complaint. Ringing my GP for 76 seconds used up that £10 and then I was cut off again by EE.

EE messaged me the next morning saying that my complaint has been closed so I emailed their executive office asking for it to be opened again and explaining the whole issue. They replied saying that I should ring them instead, which was very frustrating since I currently cannot make any calls due to this issue.

Does anyone know what else I could do? Relay U.K. is regulated by OFCOM and EE are not allowed to charge extra for these calls.

Comments

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,470 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Can you use the phone number rather than using the app?

  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    No, it still cuts me off.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,353 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Poor, especially as the Relay service is run by BT (on behalf of all operators) who are part of the same group as EE.

    One thought, is your GP's number a standard geographical landline number?

    Here's EE's page about accessibility and the Relay service.

    https://ee.co.uk/help/here-for-you/communication-support

  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yes, it’s a standard U.K. landline. I also found it strange that the EE agents knew so little about relay despite BT owning both!

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,470 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 27 August at 1:30PM

    A written complaint maybe the way to go. That and voting with your feet to an operator who can do it properly ASAP

  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yes, I might have to leave. EE is the only one who gets a reasonable signal in my area so I’m very restricted and I keep thinking that if EE don’t understand relay, the smaller operators might be even worse.

  • john1
    john1 Posts: 486 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Have a look at this link Text relay: making phone calls if you have a hearing or speech difficulty may help you its

    From Ofcom How much does it cost to make a text relay call?

    Relay UK is free to use, and text relay calls cost no more than a standard telephone call. If you have inclusive calls or a call allowance, relay calls should be included. Because text relay calls take longer than voice calls, disabled users are also entitled to a special tariff to compensate them for the extra time taken.

    You will need an internet connection if you want to use the Relay UK app, but the app is designed to use very little data

  • itadam20
    itadam20 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 28 August at 3:18PM

    Happened me!!! I am deaf and can’t speak well. Start issue on last Wednesday then I try call to my dentist then use Relay UK app then itself is call end because EE text me say I got spend cap is £10. Very strange and I feel wrong with pay call charges is premium fee. I go check to my EE app and online account then I saw my call usage then making call to is 18001 with any number is £4.64 a minute fee of 2 time.

    I called EE on live chat message then they say wrong has with my call can’t with relay Uk is problem and EE customer got found of my call usage say “Based on the 00 on the front of the numbers, an international exit code has been added in front of the number dialled called for international” “0018001”

    I’m never put the front 00 I start is 18001 on phone call, only uk use Relay Uk and not international is very stranger!! Also refund give me. They will sort and fix with technical team but I stuck of waiting of 2 day and today!!

    I got another sky mobile sim with call use Relay Uk is work for I need call to dentist

  • itadam20
    itadam20 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post

    Updated, Yes finally, Relay UK on EE service for working today!!

  • ivinsp
    ivinsp Posts: 278 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I had difficulty connecting to numbers via giffgaff so I've started using this on my Samsung phone

    1000057888.jpg
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.