We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
New Car - Private plate advice
Comments
-
Incorrect, if first registered on a private plate then when that is removed a suitable age related plate will be allocated by the DVLA.
I've done it 6 or 7 times since 2001.
1 -
The advantages of registering it on the 76 plate are:
- you get to flaunt that 76 plate in front of your neighbours 😎 and maximise the VFM of your brand new car (I couldn't care less what my neighbours have, as long as they park it entirely on their drive and not half on the pavement- unless it was a WC-52 or something interesting, but many people do care and would be crushed that they only have some old knacker on a 26 plate….)
- You can take the 76 plates off and store them in the garage, then when you put the vanity plate back on retention you already have the 76 plates ready to put on, with nothing to buy/no messing about at a motor factors.😁 (The car normally gets it's original registration back)
Otherwise the car would just be given some random 76 plate when you take the vanity plate off and you have to drive and get the plates made in a car that bears the wrong registration. (Or do that "walking" thing i suppose…)😉
I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....
(except air quality and Medical Science
)1 -
Thanks all - confirmed my thoughts!
Will place on retention for the time being and put new plates on using the sticks pads.
I can also keep the plates I am taking off as its just a newer car
0 -
The car is assigned the year plate by DVLA and kept by them.
zee registered our new car with the private plate.
When we came to sell it the DVLA advised the number that had been allocated and the local shop made up the new plates that day.As soon as you know the number you can get plates made.
Yes, if you already have the plates you have taken off you can put them on but you still have to wait for DVLA to confirm that number.
It is hardly much delay.
1 -
I use the plates the dealer supply as a template for any holes that are needed, presuming that the car already has premade holes to put the plates (most have, usually a plastic insert)
0 -
Speaking of number plates, watch this, on a brand new Volvo.
0 -
I've seen that somewhere before.
Apparently all Volvo dealers should have a little jig to drill the holes in the number plate perfectly to line up with the fixings.
They probably got "The Boy" to do it and forgot to train him/tell him about the jig.
I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....
(except air quality and Medical Science
)0 -
Picked my new car up and it appears this dealer did not follow a jig either. The car is going back on Friday to re do the back plate as its not square!
0 -
They will probably just remove one screw, level up the plate and drill another hole into the metal, which will make it go rusty.
(They could just do it properly, but if they couldn't get it level first time I wouldn't trust them anywhere near my car…)
Are they screws that you can undo, or those plastic bolts with a nut on the inside?
If they are just self tapping screws I'd undo them and take the 'plate off to see what they have done wrong. If they have screwed it into the metal rather than the plastic bungs they need to be sorting it out with a new door like that Volvo (some hope, bet they try and dab a bit of paint over the damage and hide it behind the 'plate…)
I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....
(except air quality and Medical Science
)0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
