We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New Car - Private plate advice

mills705
mills705 Posts: 188 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Hi

I have had my plate a number of years but this time I am struggling to figure out what to do.

My current vehicle was bought new and I applied my plate to the vehicle at first registration, it is also screwed into the vehicle.

I am replacing the vehicle with another new car which will be a 76 plate so awaiting its delivery to the dealership.

Can someone help me figure out the logistics of this?

I need to place my plate on retention I know that and get the new plates made at a motor factors.

However the drilling and replacing I am less keen on doing as I am not very mechanically minded- Does a garage do this or should I just buy some of the sticky foam pads?

«1

Comments

  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,255 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    If you are trading in your old vehicle just let the dealer take care of everything.

    They see this exact situation every day.

    If you are selling it another way, you can put the plate on retention online, get the new assigned plate information and take that to any company that makes up and fits number plates.

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    There's no reason to ever screw plates directly to a car, and certainly no reason to be drilling the bodywork in order to do so.

    But if you're getting a brand-new vehicle, then just get the dealer to apply your vanity plate straight to it at first registration. They'll make and fit the actual plastic in their usual manner - which, you'd like to hope, would include using the manufacturer's recommended mounting method.

    What are you doing with the old one? Is it going back to a financier, or being PXd with the dealer supplying your new one?

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    What I'd do is put the vanity plate on retention, and accept the new vehicle with the 76 plate.

    Then I can humble my neighbours by having a 76 plate car on the drive, and drive around feeling superior. 😇

    When the '76 plate is going out of date, I'd put the vanity plate on, to hide the fact that I haven't got a brand new car. 😉

    Speak to the dealer who is taking in your old car, they may want you to do the transfer a week before it goes to them as then you'd have a V5 that matches the number on the car.

    The easiest for you is if they will let you do the retention when you get to them, as you don't need to change your insurance over for just a few days, but you won't have a valid V5 to give the dealer.

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • mills705
    mills705 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    My current number plate is screwed onto the car.

    I will email the dealer and ask

    Not sure if you can trade in and sign the v5 over etc and place plate on retention at the same time!

  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,255 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    It can all be done on the day if the dealer has access to DVLA online, just give them a heads up before the delivery day.

  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 9,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Don't worry about the screws. Just fix the new plate using heavy-duty sticky pads (make sure they're sold for outdoor use). If they fall off later, it's not your problem.

  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Do not register the new car with your private plate, my friend just had this.

    You get the 76 plate as soon as v5 arrives you can switch to .your private plate

  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Yes, if you private plate it first then want to change the plate, it only has the private plate. you need a standard plate first, my mate just registered his kit car as year specific, he wanted his private plate but was advised to get year plate first. only took about a week to add his plate.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.