We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

September 2026 Grocery Challenge

1…131415161719»

Comments

  • declaring September at £239-98/£400 and nothing used out of bulk “slush” fund.

    Really pleased with that result after a heavy spend August.

    Cupboards, freezer and fridge all well stocked for next week and then will be looking at getting some items towards the festive season.

    Thanks, as always, for running the thread and keeping us accountable. I’ll see you over on the October thread.

  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 8,614 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Spends to declare as I went shopping today. I could have got away with a 'bread and milk' type shop, but as I was using petrol to go to the shop anyway, I did a normal weekly shop. So I spent £28.98 in Leedle today - I got a YS'd quiche (cheese and onion), for 99p which has gone in the freezer as a standby meal and got one or two bits on offer/discounted in the app. I didn't spend my £5 off voucher as I didn't spend anywhere near £40. I then walked into our local town and wandered through M&$ and spotted the jarred beans for 55p that have been talked about, so I got a jar of black beans to try. Even if the beans aren't up to much the jar is a useful size, and I have a reuse in mind. The are from Spain, and I remember listening to a F00d programme on R4 about the spanish bean culture, and how the Spanish are very particular in which beans they use for cooking - with jarred beans being the 'norm'. So I have high hopes.

    There were green boxes (2) in Leedle - they were put out whilst I was in the store. Very poor - I'm sure one box was literally a joke to see if someone would buy it. The other box was 'Ok', but the produce was very wrinkly, and there was a 1kg bag of red onions in it, but I'd already got those on offer - so I passed today.

    I have updated my siggie figgie, and I'm £1.57 over for September 😭 I really thought I was going to get under budget this month - although to be fair to me, most of today's shop will be consumed in October, so I'm over in 'pencil and paper' terms, but in reality, I've just pushed my first October shopping trip back a day or so. We've full cupboards, and I've even started collecting bits and pieces for our hols in HT at the end of the month.

    I'm declaring at £226.57/225 - see you all over on the October thread!

    Greying X

    GC September 2026 £226.57/£225
    GC August 2026 £218.02/£232.50
    GC July 2026 £237.82/£232.50
    GC June 2026 £225.39/£225
    Non-food spend September 2026 £73.66/£80
    Bulk Fund 2026 Month 9/12 - £0/£20.40 (reducing balance - start £120 pa)

    ""Mother Nature don't draw straight lines
    The broken moulds in a grand design
    We look a mess but we're doing fine
    We're card carrying lifelong members
    Of the union of different kinds..."

    "Union of the Different kinds" - R Christie & T Gilbert,  Fisherman's Friends 

  • I have just done a big shop which apart from a handful of items will be used in October.

    So am declaring for September.

    See you on the October thread.

    Current Balance £6000
    MFW 2026 #31 £17000 / £23,000 OP
    MFIT - T7  

    Property Fund £15,300 / £20,000


    0%CC May 2027-  £5,000

    0% Loan £600.00  - paid ✅️

    Money made £412.75 / £365 (29/09/26)

    Declutter 42 /52 

    Grocery Challenge 2025 £4885.78
    Grocery Challenge 2026 Jan £328.20, Feb £297.01, Mar £352.91, April £422.85, May £358.26, June £431.70,July £282.06

    The final countdown to June 2026 - Page 4 — MoneySavingExpert Forum


  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Evening all. Mr. Jings bought some items yesterday and I just finished the last shopping round of the month. 

    £2.78 on Tuesday at M & S by Mr. Jings for bananas, and cups of strawberry yoghurt. 

    £2.00 at Savers today for spray deodorant. 

    £36.64 at Lidl for avocados, 2 punnets of strawberries, cashews, granola, oat cakes, 2 packs of smoked salmon, Polish sausages, 1kg peanut butter, eggs, nice sliced salami, a wedge of Stilton cheese, and some Spanish cheeses. 

    £25.41 at Morrisons for bananas, bell peppers, 2 for £3 plum tomatoes, 2 for £5 sausages, ham trimmings, YS roasted back bacon from the deli, raisin/sultana mix, garlic crackers, cereal snack bars, and mango flavored kefir. 

    Total £401.86 / £325 spent. £76.86 overspent. 

    Sheesh, that’s a huge overage. I’ll be glad to see the back of September and glad for the start of October. I’ll take this weekend to clean out the fridge and inventory the freezer to meal plan for the next couple weeks. 

  • navelorange1
    navelorange1 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    I gave up a bit towards the end as I was so over budget anyway. £424.95/£300 :/

    Sep £424.95/£300
    Oct £21.92/£300
    Nov /£300
    Dec /£300
    Jan /£300
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.