We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Suspicious BT emails
Formally with BT and now with EE, I’ve been having emails supposedly from BT asking me to review my email settings in readiness for some sort of upgrade in January I think it was. Also asking me to click on a link if I needed to know anything. Obviously not going to, just asking if anyone else had these?
Comments
-
Why 'obviously' not clicking on the link? Have you checked where it points to?
0 -
I'm formally with BT and now with EE and have not had any such emails.
Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.0 -
Rule of thumb - Don’t click on any links from unsolicited emails. It looks genuine but scammers are very sophisticated. My wife was caught exactly like that a few years ago involving goods from abroad. Thanks to CC section 75, we managed to get the money back.
1 -
Its legit. You may still have active BT email accounts, even if unused
0 -
yes, still using BT addresses.
0 -
I’ve seen similar emails. Best not to click any links check your BT/EE account directly or contact them using the official website/app to confirm whether it’s genuine.
0 -
Its very easy to check where a link is pointing to so you can see if it is genuine or not.
0 -
Ok, Stand Down! Been checking around and found that the email is correct. It's to do with a slight alteration to incoming mail depending whether your system is on IMAP or POP and what client you use. Some will have to alter and some won't. BT mail will remain the same but I'll need to alter mine as I use Apple Mail.
0 -
Out of curiosity, do you retain free access to BT email (via an email client) when you move from BT to EE, or does it become a paid-for service?
0 -
Yes you retain access & get to keep & use any BT email accounts. I have 2 accessed throught Outlook so I have had to change those IMAP settings. But beware of the many scams around saying your email box will be closed if you don't act NOW. Those messages are often from some very strange email accounts.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
