We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

EE - added data no extra charge.

peteuk
peteuk Posts: 2,293 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 24 August at 11:53AM in Mobiles

Background - once out of my initial contract I dropped down to a cheaper tariff that covered my needs. I settled on a 7gb monthly, unlimited calls and text. However the last three or four months I have been either using all my data or at least 80%.

Complaint - I received a text on Saturday 22 Aug, advising I had used my data for the billing period and that this would refresh on 22/09. Confused I called EE. TO be advised that it was an error and that it should have been 23/08 (the following day) I spoke to a manager who tired to put me onto their CEO office (it was closed) as she had offered £15 good will and I wanted £20 (£10 for each error on the date). She agreed to call back on Sunday, and we set a time. She was late by 3 hours so that cost her another £20. CEOs office said happy with the £40. So that's what I got…

BUT!

In conversation I stated that online there was no where I could step up my data allowance other than jumping to 20Gb and that this would mean a new contact (12 or 24 months - would end up at £25 per month given the yearly price rises) I can get a new iPhone 25gb of data for £36 per month with Tesco. She said she could see what she could do.

First offer - was a new 10gb data, 30 day roiling contract for £12. Second was 20gb for £14. I wasn't sure at this point and then out of the blue…

I can add 3gb to your current allowance, for no extra cost, no new contract. And the £40 will pay for the next 3 months (current bill phone and watch £15 so will have £5 to pay on the 3rd bill)

Winner in my eyes - 10gb should cover my needs, no new contract and no increase in costs. I think that's more of a win than the £40.

Proud to have dealt with our debts
Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
Current debt ZERO.
DEBT FREE

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,353 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    It's really quite odd just how these plans evolve over time.

    I've a PAYM with Vodafone which I "upgrade" each year with mobiles.co.uk. Nominally it's £23 for 80GB full fat.

    But with a £7/mth discount, an additional 40GB of data that gets increased each year and £96/yr cashback, I'm paying £6/mth for 170GB.

  • redux
    redux Posts: 23,146 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 24 August at 1:50PM

    Is it possible to take a tour through the phone settings, for instance cut off background data for some apps, save some map areas offline, do app updates manually and only via WiFi, that sort of thing?

  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    My increased usage is because I'm doing a lot more walking, when I last took out a contract my usage was 2-3gb per month so 7kb I thought would be enough to future proof me.

    Ive adjusted the settings as much as I can, without having to flip from app to app whilst out walking.

    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.