We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Sneaky Bill Changes Onestream Final Bill

Everything was fine until I tried to switch to another provider.

Broadband has been good, with minimal disruption but price had increased by nearly 30% in 18 months. I was also paying a rental for the router ~£6 p/m, both the service and the router rental increased every March. This pushed my bill from £39 p/m to £50 p/m.

I have now confirmed my switch to another provider for a faster package at £33, rising to £41 by the end of the contract.

However, when I initiated the switch, I was hit with regular emails reminding me of my termination fees. (At least 2/3 per week) Which does seem a little aggressive, especially since all of the language centres around 'avoiding the fees' by cancelling the switch and 'saving money'. At no point during the process was I offered any kind of better deal.

Do not fear, they will still get my money. As I have now been informed of a £374 termination fee, comprising (Remaining Months X Broadband Fee) + Activation Fee + Router Fee
£374.00 = (4 £25) + £149 + £125

I know what you are thinking, 'but you are renting the router, why do you have to pay £125?' Well I asked the same thing. I have paid ~£120 in rental fees over the contract so far and am now being charged £125 on top, for a router that retails at £60. So £245 total for the router, which despite being a rental, I get to keep. YAAY!!

I have since discussed this with Onestream and they have agreed to take the router back and waive the £125 fee.

Fast forward to today.

My final bill was generated 14/08, router returned & fees waived.

However, logging in today to check the payment date, I notice the bill has increased since 14/08. Router fees have been added, without any notification of changes to the bill. Sneaky, sneaky.

I have since been in touch and had to provide proof that the fee was to be waived. This included emails, chat logs and my original final bill. Very unscrupulous to add fees without notification and even worse to ask me to prove that fees were waived.

I suspect the bill will not be updated before payment in 4 days, assuming I will have to wait another 7-10 days for my 'refund'.

Any advice on what I can do to avoid paying the new, incorrect bill? Could I cancel the DD and refuse to pay until all fixed?

As far as I am aware, my account is in credit and they will likely use that to cover some of the bill.

What are my rights here? Doesn't seem right that they can adjust a bill by so much without notifying the customer.

Just want the account closed at this point, I've had the new broadband on and working for 3 weeks now. Nothing but hassle with this switch from the start.

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,459 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    OneStream have form - see posts on here and elsewhere - but it sounds like you are dealing with them in exactly the right way.

    As long as your account is open and/or charges remain unresolved don't be tempted to cancel your DD, one of OneStream's many ways of increasing their revenue is a charge to reinstate DDs before they'll process any refund.

    Argue your case about the extra charge if you think the effort merits it - for the sake of ~£5 I'd be tempted to write it off.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.