We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Sky full fibre customers & your speed
If you're on Sky full fibre could you please post up
- Your connection that you're paying for (I'm on 900mb. Was previously 300mb with BT), my address allegedly supports 10000mb
- Could you please run an Ookla speedtest & say what result you get
- When you ran the test was there a lot of activity (as in did you have 3 kids all online gaming & a partner torrenting 100 files at once or was it pretty much just you & your speedtest?)
- Was the test done via WiFi or ethernet cable?
- Are you using the Sky Max Hub or some other Sky device or a third party router?
When I run it, no matter the time of day, day of week, it spits out about 370mb tops on a cat6 wired PC.
Do it on my mobile & I was about 340mb.
On day 1 I got 800something but not since.
When I used the MySky app it said I was getting 900mb.to the hub, allegedly. My devices just wouldn't get that & I was testing when it was the only real activity going on.
I've switched about 30mins ago to a TP Link AX53 & exact same experience (although I can now get the extender connected which I couldn't before).
Not too keen on paying for 500mb that I don't seem to be getting. Thing is this works out about £19 a month with intro offers & I can't get slower for as cheap as that.
What concerns me in addition is that say I jump ship to EE 300mb & they only then give me say 100mb on a speedtest (although when I was with BT I got pretty much the advertised 300mb).
Edit to add - just now ran a speed test on a wired PC. 270mb. Did another one immediately - 710mb. Then another one immediately - 570mb. Seems all over the place.
🤐🤐🤐
Comments
-
Ookla recommend installing their app for any link above 100M. On Windows, it's in the Microsoft app store. That may give more reliable results than the web page.
If it sticks, force it.
If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.2 -
I wasn't aware of that.
702mb on iPhone, 929mb on wired PC.
That makes it harder to jump ship!
I say Sky works out at around £19/mo with the gift cards etc, that's actually not the case as I had to buy a third party router (TP Link: £60) because the Sky Hub Max was so carp. So that'll bring the average cost up a little bit. Still, I suppose I can use it with whoever I'm with next.
🤐🤐🤐
0 -
Just what I was going to post, browsers have various overheads plus whatever extensions you have installed.
0 -
520 DL & 70 UL on a Sky 500Mbps asymmetrical OR connection, pretty much just me on an ethernet connected PC. It's extremely consistent speed at that. I have the Max Hub but WiFi is supplied by a couple of TP-Link Deco BE65 pods in AP mode.
Testing on a mobile is pointless TBH. My old mobile which I use as a wireless controller for bits and pieces gets the same speeds as my wired PC (just expected worse ping figures) whereas my newer mobile only gets around 300 DL and 60 UL. This is because the older one has a 2x2 antenna array compared to the newer 1x1 layout.
1 -
- I'm paying for 900.
- I just got 903 down, 811 up
- Just me online
- Via Wi-fi
- Sky max hub
2 -
I take it that you're in a City Fibre area?
0 -
Yes indeed I am.
How can you tell this ??
0 -
because the upload speed is higher than what Sky on Openreach is , although 811Mb is terrific , as the speeds are supposedly symmetrical (same upload and download ) on City Fibre , it is noticeably worse than your 903Mb down , but that’s splitting hairs, chances are you never use even 1/20th (5%) of the upload channel
1 -
I'm on Sky GigaFast in a Cityfibre area, with a Sky Max router.
Using Ookla (via the app) on a wired Mac mini, wth no other network activity, I just got:-
Down - 918Mbs
Up - 928Mbs
on the wired connection, I've not seen it vary more than about 5Mbs from these numbers at all times of day
On my M3 iPad Air with wifi 6E, connecting to the Sky Max hub via a WiFi access point using 6E and a wired gigabit connection straight to the hub, I usually get similar numbers, but sometimes a good bit lower - I suspect because of wifi interference (I live in a modern block of flats, so very little to block other flat's signal). Interestingly, I have had VERY occasional record high upload/download speeds of 947Mb on the wifi - never seen those on the wired Mac.
0 -
Your iPad Air may be wifi 6E but the Sky Max Hub is only wifi 6 so has no 6 Ghz band.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards