We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car Rental - Excess Insurance. Experiences please.

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with making a claim on an "Excess Reimbursement Insurance (ERI) policy" for car hire?

We had a poor experience several years ago. But I am wondering whether we were just unlucky?

(Our hire car was damaged by another driver reversing into our door while parking. The damage to his car bumper was minimal so he just drove off. However, when we came to make a claim on our ERI policy the insurer wanted the details of the other driver. We couldn't provide these so had to pay the excess ourselves).

Comments

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,038 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    As ever with insurance, and many other contracts, it's all about reading and understanding the Ts & Cs - did yours specify that you were obliged to obtain details of other parties involved in accidents, which, to be fair, is pretty standard practice?

    The only times I've had to claim, the process was much as expected, although one did refuse to refund the element of the cost relating to airport location surcharge, which, again to be fair, was as stated in the policy wording…

  • ellenvan
    ellenvan Posts: 527 Forumite
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 23 August at 8:04PM

    Take a look at Zest car hire a which recommended car hire broker.

    Zestcarrental.com

    They include the re- imbursement charge in the car hire. Does not cover wheels and tyres though.

    Very easy to deal with

  • I'm sure it was in the T&Cs. But, to me, it was unexpected. It felt odd that the policy would pay the excess if I had damaged the car myself, but not for damage caused by an unknown 3rd party.

    However, caveat emptor, as you say. And I will check with the insurer beforehand should I go ahead with another ERI. I see that the "Which" best-buy ERI provider has their claims procedure on their website so I will check with them.

    Thank you. I will check them.

  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I’ve had to claim on excess insurance twice and the process has been relatively pain free. Speaking from experience, I thought the claims processes with Eversure and Reduce my Excess were both fine and I got back every penny that I paid to the car hire companies.

    For the last couple of years I've purchased annual policies covering me for the UK and Europe from Cover 4 Rentals which are the top rated company according to Which. The policy is £38 a year which is good value considering how often I hire cars (I don't own one myself).

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    When I was doing for an insurer that wrote this business there were a couple of gotchas, firstly was most only covered if the excess was paid so a very small amount of damage under the excess wouldnt be reimbursed because you've paid for the damage not the excess.

    The other problem was that companies wanted papers to support the cost of repairs being at or above the level of the excess charged and not all hire companies were willing to share such documents.

    The former doesnt appear as common, most have less specific wording these days. I dont know how they are with evidencing losses are these days.

    When an insurer pays out for your losses they effectively inherit your right to sue the person that caused the loss. So by reimbursing your excess they could have sued the driver that hit you. Your failure to have the details inhibits that ability. With Comp insurance this happens all the time and with most insurers you get to claim either way but without the TP details its a fault claim on your record even if you arent to blame for the incident. I wouldnt be surprised if their terms required you to support their recovery actions but surprised that they would decline a claim for a hit and run. Would be fairly confident that the FOS wouldnt let that stand given they would have paid out had you hit a post (honestly or dishonestly knowing this clause)

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.