We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Information needed about ev battery

1235»

Comments

  • chuffinnora
    chuffinnora Posts: 104 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 26 August at 4:58PM

    I agree, attempting to paint a rosy picture of 47000 EV charging locations and inaccurately massaging the petrol locations as individual pumps is misleading. Most EV chargers will not be where you need them, want them, actually working, accessible or reasonable pricing.

    For example, last week where I was, 2 locations were in hotel car parks for customers or those paying to get out of the barrier. 1 was at pub (and it was free) where the expectation is that you go in and buy a meal. The others were 7 miles away in a shopping centre that I had no intention of visiting. And most not economical even compared to petrol. I'll give the pub its credit, that was a very nice place so the free charging was a bonus (if you happened to be the 1 in that space).

    I can always find a petrol station on any journey I make, in a good position. Happy to spend 5 minutes filling up. Not 30-60 minutes charging. That makes EV charging a destination on any journey in my opinion, and it’s not for me. Time is way more valuable than spending however many hours a week looking at a car park. But good luck if that floats your boat.

    A tiny percentage of holiday lets have EV chargers. One I checked out that looked like a place we'd want to rent, had a £50 weekly charge though. So it’s not a case of not wanting EV charging to be workable, my experience is the opposite.

    The PHEV is more than sufficiently economical with home charging, and a workable compromise for now. Even if the weight bothers some, it doesn't bother me, and I'm not going to stress if its slightly less mpg than the value of a cup of coffee.

    Just to add, very cheap home EV charging is the ONLY reason I even considered a PHEV. Expensive public charging doesn't even feature as a convincing argument for EV. Even if there were a 1,000,000 available. But we'd have a small town runabout EV. However, remove the cheap home charging and the EV argument is dead for us.

  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    my friend has a polestar 2, the warranty issues he is having are a nightmare, rear camera stopped working, after 3 months they say he broke it, both the inserts either side of windscreen are loose and flapping about, 6 weeks until they will look at it, until then it’s gaffer taped down.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,137 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Life in the slow lane
  • mikrt
    mikrt Posts: 272 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Regarding Intelligent Octopus Go, 23:30 to 05:30 is irrelevant for charging EVs. You plug it in any time, set charge amount and ready time. Octopus will set a schedule, which may or may not in that period.

    Recently though, they've got strict on the 6 hours cheap rate.

  • Bluebell1000
    Bluebell1000 Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    We are on feed in tariff with a deemed export payment, so it works better for us to store/use the solar when we can - however you're ablsolutely right that people not on FIT may find it is better to export!

  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 4,278 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes, I'm on FITs but may have to recalculate when that finishes in another 7 years for me.

    As for people who have PHEVs, fair enough, but many other people just won't recognise the experiences described. It's a shame they can't cope but 6 years of EV experience with not particularly long range cars and annual trips to Italy has satisfied me that having an ICE engine is pointless.

    As for finding petrol stations everywhere, we've already seen over the years many forecourts closing even before the advent of EVs and the process may even accelerate for obvious reasons, particularly the less used and in rural areas.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,137 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Hopefully they will take note of Norway & as demand drops, they start installing charge points in pump places.

    Life in the slow lane
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Can I just thank the people who replied to my post, I only log at work (in breaks) and my wife has been in hospital so I have been off for the last couple of weeks.

    It has answered my questions and my next car will most likely be EV, how long that is remains to be seen now my Honda has been repaired by the insurance.

    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • Bandy2023
    Bandy2023 Posts: 125 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 23 September at 1:37PM

    Jumping into this one, I'm an EV owner of 10 years and have had many ( including 2 x Nissans )

    I can't be bothered reading all the 'advice' given by people who may only be recycling manufacturer recommendations or are new to EVs, I'm just going to say I've charged all of my EVs to 100% every time and will continue to do so - I've seen no evidence of any battery degradation by doing this.

    My Cupra Born was handed back to them only last week after 3.5 years of being charged to 100% every time and zero drop in range from new.

    I'd also recommend you look at EDF as they are kicking Octopus into touch right now and I've switched to them after years of Octopus.

    Firstly, they're offering 7 hours of cheap charging ( and house use ) compared with Octopus's best option of 6 hours.

    Secondly, EDF's 7 hour tariff doesn't need your car or charger to be compatible and controlled by them, it's just a simple timer tariff 2300-0600 - you can choose the intelligent option if you want and they will give you another £5 off a month.

    When I changed to my now Smart #1 this was an important consideration as while my Cupra was compatible with octopus, my charger ( podpoint ) never has been and my Smart wouldn't be either.

    So to stay with octopus's best 6 hour tariff I was facing binning a perfectly good Podpoint and spending £££ on another compatible brand charger.

    Not needed with EDF.

    Also since joining EDF only a few weeks ago, I had 24 hours free electricity with them this weekend, as did plenty of others.

    Octopus used to give some free electricity from time to time, but nowhere near this level.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.