We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
non windows laptop?
Comments
-
Up until the days of Windows XP it technically was DOS, as Windows ran on top of it.
I did see some laptops a couple of years ago that did come with DOS as an operating system so not entirely an alien concept. These days of course you can achieve pretty much the same effect with something like Dosbox.and just stick it in your startup folder.
0 -
If you want to have a free "hands on" Chromebook experience download ChromeOS Flex and temporarily install
on a windows machine using a USB memory stick/drive
Minimum windows specs: Intel or AMD x86-64-bit processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 16 GB of storage.
Runs web apps and Linux apps, but does not support the Google Play Store or native Android appsGoogle officially maintains a Certified Models List to which if your machine is on the list guarantee hardware stability.
see this LINK (https://support.google.com/chromeosflex/answer/11552529?hl=en)
0 -
If you're prepared to put some work in and pick up the lingo, it would be worth looking for a local LUG or Linux User Group - they may have other names in other places. Some of them will meet IRL and some will be more of an online discussion group / help forum. You may find within such a group that some are better at mediating the Linux experience than others: if you don't understand what someone is saying, ask for an explanation. Hopefully someone will be able to give you one in words if not of one syllable then at least of syllables which make sense.
But if anyone tells you that LibreOffice (or any other open source suite of office programs) is 'just like MS Office, you won't notice the difference', they are lying. You WILL notice the difference if you do anything other than very basic stuff. And there are times when navigating that difference will drive you nuts. As for Google Docs, maybe I've not persevered long enough, but I'm not a fan.
I speak as someone who flirted with Linux but came back to the dark side (Windoze), have never been near the darker side (Apple). DH and DSes are hardline Linux users. Each comes with their own delights …
Signature removed for peace of mind1 -
You will find that whichever OS you use they will require updates and patches - this is simply the way the OS is maintained.
If you're having performance issue with Windows it may be worth looking at whether there are things you can do to improve performance e.g. checking which software is loaded at startup and if you use it infrequently stop it loading.
Linux is a useful OS but generally is used by those who are more technically savvy (or interested in learning), on the plus side it can be controlled much more securely (e.g. preventing third-party apps from monitoring in the way which is standard on some other OS's but many users are unaware of).
On the downside it may a steeper learning curve. You will also find that whilst there are many alternatives to the applications you may be used to very occasionally there are likely to be software products which are unique to an OS and unless you can find and manage an emulator you will not be able to run these.
Linux is freeware (in every sense of the word), and you can download a copy and boot from it if you just want to try it out. There are many versions of Linux available and both Mint and Ubuntu are popular desktop products. Generally, Linux has a lighter footprint than other OS's and can be used on machines with lower spec with better performance.
0 -
What happens if you have a Chromebook, and someone sends you a Word Document? Can you still open it?
Also are Google Docs etc free to use? Currently I use the free web version of M365 with a Windows laptop. Would this work with a Chromebook- I guess not.
0 -
Google docs can open, edit and create/save Office format documents.
You need a Google account to use it but it's free very much like the web version of Office that you're using.
I personally use LibreOffice (with the Microsoft colour pack added) and its fine for the basics.
0 -
Have you tried optimising your windows setup if you've already got Windows?
Going into the startup menu in settings and turning off anything that doesn't need to run usually helps. Chris Titus Tech has a Windows tool that usually improves performance.
0 -
Open document format is your friend.
0 -
You can use the web based versions of Office (e.g. word.cloud.microsoft) on a Chromebook. Just open in Chrome.
I find them much more clunky/slower than the Google versions though.0 -
My work laptop is a Mac; there are frequent updates for the OS and applications (eg. Chrome).
I find the Mac nice to look at but frustrating to use.
I have a laptop running Linux Mint and that's likely to become my main daily machine.
I've got a Window laptop I keep for some specific applications, but I haven't used it in ages.
I've also got another Windows laptop buy I loaned it to my son whilst I repaired his, but I insisted he didn't give it back to me!
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
