We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pushy Sky phonecall, full fibre upgrade

I have just received a phone call from Sky, where I was being pushed to switch to full fibre from my existing Superfast 35 deal. Is this legit? He sent some information via my email, and then wanted me to access it and read it whilst on the call. As it would take me a while to start my PC and log in to my email, I requested to read it in slower time and call back later. I was told this was not an option. Eventually he hung up. I think he was a scammer. I'm a bit worried as I gave my date of birth, address and last two digits of my bank account. The link in the email he sent doesn't work. Before I lodge a formal complaint with Sky, has anyone else had this experience? My contract ends in January, so if I switch to full fibre, any new deal in January will be ultra expensive. Not seen anything from Martin Lewis about phone lines being replaced.

Comments

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,516 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Not seen anything from Martin Lewis about phone lines being replaced.

    You must have been living under a rock then. The copper network is being phased out. Standard telephony over copper is ending next year and where available everyone is being pushed to switch to full fibre with the ISPs being given incentives to switch their customers over so that OR can completely decommission that network.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Why would you lodge a formal complaint against Sky if this was a scammer?

    Sounds more like an over-zealous Sky salesperson. I had to talk to Sky CS a week or so ago and can confirm that they use that "last 2 digits of bank account" as an ID verification method.

    That "you have to decide now" line is just nasty pushy sales, I'd have hung up too at that point.

    When you "hover" over the link in the email, what address is it trying to send you to?

    You've got 4 months to compare the various companies/options before you need to do anything about your broadband contract renewal.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,861 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I have just received a phone call from Sky, where I was being pushed to switch to full fibre from my existing Superfast 35 deal. Is this legit?

    It might have been Sky or it might have been a scammer But either way, don't engage with unsolicited phone sales calls.

    I was told this was not an option.

    That sounds more like a scammer.

    I'm a bit worried as I gave my date of birth, address and last two digits of my bank account.

    That also sounds like a scammer.

    The link in the email he sent doesn't work.

    Can you share the link here?

    Not seen anything from Martin Lewis about phone lines being replaced.

    As above, analogue telephone lines are being switched off. Here's the official Government site:

    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-transition-from-analogue-to-digital-landlines

    However, depending on where you live, you might still have a copper (as opposed to full fibre) connection for a few more years as not everyone has been cabled for FTTP yet.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,253 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    It's not a scam.

    Full fibre will probably be the same price as FTTC but much more reliable.

    There is another topic running where a customer has a FTTC deal ending but only full fibre deals are available from competitors due to the imminent demise of copper lines.

    As above, how on earth have you missed that?

  • Pingu1
    Pingu1 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker

    Thanks for the comments. I am being made redundant from my job in October, so my only focus at the moment is finding another job.

  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 8,613 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thanks for the comments. I am being made redundant from my job in
    October, so my only focus at the moment is finding another job.

    In that case, you don't have to do anything until January. If you shop around in January, you will probably find that you are only offered fibre. But it shouldn't be significantly more expensive.

    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    It could have been a scam or it could have been one of their sales vultures desperate for their commission. Either way never sign up to anything in a cold call, always have a look online to see which deals are available and go for the best one, using TopCashBack if possible.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.