We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

TalkTalk full fibre offer

"Full fiber 900 voip 24 months variable package 28 pounds + 8 pounds on
UK call boost + 1 pounds call safe 37 pounds nwe monthly

+ free engineer visit and installation I will waive upgrade set up fee
30 pounds as a valued customer
+ free updated new router usually that is 80 to 120 pounds but I will
provide that for free will receive latest security detail and wider
range of wifi only pay 9.95 pounds for delivery fee"

How does this look (apart from poor English) ? I am currently paying TT - £38 for a 65Mbps FTTC connection - with unlimited call boost

This will be the same price for a 900Mbps line with the same calls

I have never had any problems/issues with TT - having been a customer since 2002 !


If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
«134

Comments

  • Troytempest
    Troytempest Posts: 384 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    I would like that package but full fibre not available not available - looks good to me.

    Like you, been with TT for years and generally been good.

  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 3,022 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Do you think you ever need 900Mbit/s? But as it's a £1 a month cheaper it seems almost a no brainer… Get them to waive the Delivery fee as well!! The router you currently have will probably need replacing anyway to work with full fibre and VOIP… they aren't doing you any "favours"… (But check out the TT Community forum to be sure).

    You can always 'downgrade' to a slower FTTP package on the next renewal if it's cheaper.

    I was with TT on a FTTC and no calls package (we use our Lebara mobiles) but moved to Plusnet at £22.99 pm (saving me more than £5 a month at their next price hike) +£4 each year on renewal. FTTP has just come available here and they're offering me an upgrade and new 24 month contract for 900Mbit/s at £32.99 per month (+£4 each anniversary year) so the price TT are quoting is also good. Plusnet don't do landlines/VOIP (aka Digital Voice). I'm tempted by their offer of 145Mbit/s for £25.50 (£1.51 extra) as we only get 40Mbit/s on FTTC on a good day - but then that is fast enough to stream UHD so do I need that higher speed?

    NB you will need some form of UPS/battery backup for the router / VOIP if you get regular power cuts and need that "landline" to work.

  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,391 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 20 August at 11:08AM

    I agree - TT are OK as a cheap ISP - They've had bad press which they don't deserve.

    TT community is unfortunately no more - it died a few months ago !

    Is the battery anything special or will a standard Li do ? connections ?

    I heard rumours that TT were transferring FF customers on to UTILITY WORKHOUSE - is this true ?


    If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,887 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 20 August at 11:11AM

    So £28 for 900mpbs package is about the same as the others.

    Free engineer visit installation and router is also the same as the others - £9.95 delivery fee for the router I'd try and negotiate off.

    All in all, nothing special. That said, and as above, 900mbps is incredible overkill for 99% of households. I'd imagine most households consume <100mbps, even with kids, multiple devices and 4k TV's.

    The alternative however, is the offers other providers offer new customers. For example if you go to https://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/ and type in your postcode, you will find that many other providers offer the same deal, however they'll also throw in a giftcard.

    If I type in my postcode for example, I'm offered the below. £1 more than yours, but comes with a £165 giftcard and pays switching credit if you have any exit fees (I've recently benefit from both recently).

    If you looked at more normal fibre speeds like 150, you can see them offering for £23 p/m with a £80 gift voucher.

    Obviously you'll add whatever call package on top, but I would suggest that there is no benefit to loyalty. I personally change provider every time the contract term expires (on the case of the Sky offer covering switching credit, before!).

    image.png
    Know what you don't
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,895 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Is the battery anything special or will a standard Li do ? connections ?

    It's something special.

    See this post of mine from a few days ago with details.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    If you're happy with it (the most important thing) then go for it. The caveat is, do you really need 900Mbps? Ask them how much 150Mbps or 500Mbps would cost. If you have a BT Callblocker phone for instance, I would also drop the Callsafe option as that's a pointless £1 added.

    Oddly, I just checked their new customer prices at my address and the 900Mbps service is £36 per month with £4 rises every April and a £55 reward (on MSE Unbundled) but it's broadband only with no phone line included. I think it would cost an extra £2 a month to add Digital Voice.

  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 3,022 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Beware many ISPs are not offering a Voice/Phone line option at all any more. But do fully cost the alternatives - such as $ky at a lower speed full fibre to save some cash… Inclusive calls may be punitive and any cashback/voucher offers are never guaranteed. Maybe better the devil you know?

    Very small battery backup may be available to 'vulnerable' customer groups from some ISPs. Otherwise a full Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) may be the best purchased option.

    FWIW EE have just spam leafletted (via Royal Mail) our address for Gigabit at £36… No phone service at all! I opted to lose the line and go with wifi mobile calling via the interweb with Lebara for a lot less than £8 a month. Seems to work well for us. Obviously needs WiFi calling enabled mobile(s) too, so may not be for you.

  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,391 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    How many power points will I need for the full works (with phone) ?

    Bear in mind that OH doesn't trust power adapters……..(they always burst into flames as soon as you turn your back)


    If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,895 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    How many power points will I need for the full works (with phone) ?

    At least two and possibly four.

    • One for your Optical Network Terminal (ONT)
    • One for your router
    • Potentially one for the Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) if it's not built into the router
    • Plus one if your phone needs power

    I don't know what router TT are planning to supply; if it has a socket for an analogue phone you won't need an ATA, if it doesn't have a socket then you will.

    If you decide to buy a UPS (for battery backup) then you'll only need one socket for the UPS and most/all of the other kit can plug into that.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,391 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    And they are all to be located in the same place - the hallway or wherever the router is ?


    If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.