We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

UKPC – Screwfix Chadwell Heath – disabled bay / Blue Badge not displayed

124»

Comments

  • XcelestialX
    XcelestialX Posts: 62 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Update: Paid the £20, but UKPC have now replied to my complaint and still haven't addressed the appeal portal issue

    Just thought I'd update everyone.

    In the end, I decided to pay UKPC's £20 offer rather than risk losing the discount by proceeding to POPLA. I wasn't happy about it, particularly given the circumstances, but I wanted to bring the matter to an end.

    However, I've now received a response to my formal complaint, and I'm disappointed with it.

    UKPC have simply repeated their reasons for issuing the charge, explained that I had the opportunity to appeal and stated that, because I've paid, liability has been accepted and the matter is settled.

    What they haven't addressed is the main point of my complaint: why was the online appeal portal closed when I was still within the appeal period and trying to submit my appeal?

    I had to resort to emailing and posting my appeal before eventually receiving a rejection and POPLA code.

    I also made it clear that I was paying the £20 to avoid spending more time on the matter, not because I agreed with UKPC's decision or accepted liability.

    For context, occupant was a genuine Blue Badge holder and was in the vehicle, we were genuine Screwfix customers collecting an order, and Screwfix Estates had actually asked UKPC to cancel the charge. UKPC refused.

    I'm now considering escalating the complaint to the BPA, focusing specifically on the handling of the appeal and the premature closure of the portal.

    I know I've paid and the parking charge itself is now closed, but I don't think that means the complaint about the appeals process should simply be ignored.

  • Nellymoser
    Nellymoser Posts: 2,961 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Your right, paying doesn't stop you from escalating your complaint to BPA. Have a read of BPA complaints policy first (I just posted the link)

    https://www.britishparking.co.uk/write/Documents/BPA/BPAComplaintsPolicyandProcedureV3-GD.pdf

    https://portal.britishparking.co.uk/compliance/LogComplaint

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,837 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    The BPA will do nothing.

    Get proper revenge.

    You could have much more of an effect on UKPC, if you instead complain & provide your evidence to the CMA. They DO NOT help individuals but they are looking at this rogue sector right now and are collecting evidence.

    This was on BBC News and on MSE itself:

    MSE article: July 2026

    The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) launched a major crackdown on the UK private parking industry, issuing an open warning over unfair appeals, and advising stricter government oversight CMA takes action on private parking practices.

    Read the news about it. You'll see! The CMA has already opened one consumer protection investigation into a BPA firm.

    This is important. Please be heard. It's one email and it could help make a real difference.

    Read all the CMA statements first. Then tell them about your case: how intimidated you felt and that the £20 bribe was not fair and they'd refused a landowner's request for full cancellation as a 'reasonable adjustment' under the Equality Act 2010. Disabled people cannot legally be charged an admin fee for using an accessible bay (such provisions must be provided free by service providers by law) but you felt worn down, scared of being sued and paid it to make it go away. This isn't a fair or lawful charge and the CMA should not have put out a 'consumer tips' video telling people to pay the £20 bribe like it's a good thing. It isn't fair at all.

    CMA Contact emails (use both, the first one goes directly to their parking investigation) :

    parking@cma.gov.uk

    general.enquiries@cma.gov.uk 

    NB: The CMA don't help with cases or update you. This is for the public good. You are reporting this to try to open their eyes more and get the CMA to investigate other parking firms.

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.