We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How is it possible that my Sky password is incorrect?

B0bbyEwing
B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

I'm switching to Sky (or have switched) for broadband which will become active this coming week.

I'm told through their correspondence that it's "easiest" if I download the MySky app. Not sure how accurate that is but I download it all the same.

I was once a Sky customer so go to sign in & it wants me to reset my password - no problem.

I fire up Bitwarden, use the password generator & throw this in to Sky. It accepts. I save the password in my Bitwarden vault.

The app is now downloaded, I go to log in. Enter my email, COPY the password from Bitwarden ……… incorrect password.

I check there's no additional space at the end of the email, as can sometimes happen. There isn't.

I view the password - it matches what's in the vault (obviously, because i copied the flipping thing!).

I delete the final character & type it back in. Still incorrect.

How is it possible that the password is incorrect when it's the exact same one they literally just a minute ago accepted as my new password?

🤐🤐🤐

«1

Comments

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Try manually typing in the email address and password entirely, some apps don't like or recognise copy & pasting (which is what bitwarden is doing).

  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    On the Sky forums there have been reports that returning customers are not able to register with the email they have used previously.

    Try registering with a different email.

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    That's a bit of a PITA when it comes to us supposedly needing secure passwords.

    Not ideal having a 15 character password made up of upper, lower, numbers & specials when you're having to constantly go back to another app to see what the next character is.

    I forget which bank it is too that don't actually let you do that. Every time you switch apps to see what the next character is, when you go back to the bank app it reverts you back to the start.

    It accepts the email. It sends me a code to log in, I enter the numbered code & then it logs me in.

    It's just the password it doesn't like.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Entering the details in manually didn't work either.

    So I decided to reset the password (again) to a 'non safe' (just letters & some numbers, no special characters) one.

    Worked.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,431 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Had something similar a week ago (not Sky).

    The 'change password' functionality allowed me to set up a Bitwarden 20 char random string.

    The login functionality didn't agree and told me the password was invalid.

    Not the first time this has happened to me, I think there's a bit of ubiquitous code floating about the web that has been used for years for building standard login functionality.

    Did pretty much what you did - cut the password down to 10 characters and removed special characters - worked.

    Not done the analysis (!!!!!! should I!) but my guess is that there's a difference in the allowed subset of "special" characters that is allowed by the two functions.

    This is what Sky say about account passwords

    • Contain at least 1 special character from the allowed set.
    • The following characters are not allowed: < > and spaces.

    It doesn't define "allowed set". Also says it needs a 'special' character so your accepted password is breaking their "rules". Not really surprised.

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yep, what you can do is use the Passphrase option in Bitwarden rather than the random password generator with certain sites that won't allow copy & paste (this by the way is to stop or at least mitigate brute force attacks).

    Unseeing-Spearmint-Earphone9 is easier to remember than Rif^kHLZ$6APLYV say.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,431 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    If using a browser to cut'n'paste, might try the "Don't F*** With Paste" extension to get round sites that block Paste.

    Certainly works with the oft-quoted restriction at Santander/Cahoot.

    Other extensions with less "witty" names are available.

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    If my original password was no good then it shouldn't have passed the first step of actually setting it. You'd think a company the size of Sky could sort this out. Password managers & really long gobbledegook passwords are hardly a new thing.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,431 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Absolutely agree with you, shoddy implementation/testing by their IT.

    I suspect that the use of decent long gobbledegook passwords generally is far less common that you might think.

  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    It was probably accepted and then once it hit's the database or whatever it gets reviewed by software for compliance with "The rules" and was then rejected.

    I've had similar, with Bitwarden creating a too complicated password for one login, unacceptable special characters were the problem similar to flaneurs_lobster

    Move along, nothing to see.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.