We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Tesla Powerwall - App problem, Tesla not responding
My Powerwall 3 was installed in October 2024 and, until last May, has been brilliant. I'm on IOG and, apart from a Christmas, we've only been buying electricity at the cheap rate (Currently 8p per kWh).
Last May, although I really didn't need to, I decided to update the app with the current Octopus pricing. The app had been updated and, put simply, it's lost my old peak/cheap rate settings and is doing it's own thing. Put simply, regardless of what I try, it thinks my cheap rate starts at 22:00hrs instead of 23:30hrs! If left to it's thing that means most of my charging is at peak, instead of cheap rate.
I contacted them on 28th May. The agents were unable to help and raised a ticket. Since then I have called them weekly. After a month I got my installer involved. He admits he's never seen the issue before and has been unable to "motivate" Tesla. I've asked about an escalation path and been told there isn't one, be patient.
The things we've tried is;
Sign out, uninstall and reinstall the app (Android),
Sign out, uninstall the app and install the app on my wife's phone (Also Android),
Sign out, uninstall the app and install the app on my daughter's phone (iPhone),
With Tesla, uninstall the app, delete my account, create a new account, install a new app.
Power down the Powerwall totally, wait ten minutes, power it up.
Currently my work around to avoid charging at peak rate is to;
Switch to self powered mode in the evening,
Switch back to savings at 23:30, then go to bed.
Does anyone have a Tesla contact I can use to escalate the problem?
Comments
-
They typically respond via the installer but try this number as well.
https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/powerwall-customer-support- 10 x 400w LG Bifacial + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial + 2 x 570W SHARP Bifacial + 5kW SolarEdge Inverter + SolarEdge Optimizers. SE London.
- Triple aspect: ENE (2.7 kWp), WSW (3.3 kWp), SSE (2.4 kWp)
- Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (The most efficient gas boiler sold)Feel free to DM me for help with any form of energy saving! Happy to help!0 -
Thanks but that's the number I'm already using.
0 -
Please can you share a screenshot of your tariff settings?
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.0 -
This is the screen I was presented with. Oddly enough, I've checked the app and it now seems to be working correctly. I'll only know at 10pm when it doesn't try to charge and 23:30 when it should start to charge.
0 -
That's not showing anything.
Please click on Settings > Powerwall > Utility Rate Plan and take a screenshot of that (don't click on the Utility Rate Plan link straight from Settings, make sure you go into Powerwall first, as they do not always show the same thing)
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.0 -
Exactly! That's all that was being presented. I've been through this with Tesla and my provider. Anyway, ir seems to be doing what it should now. It's only taken them two and half months.
2 -
Is there anywhere in the App you can see your current tariff settings (times and rates for import/export)?
I know Tesla had an issue with their servers recently when I was trying to update my tariff information. When I phoned Tesla they advised me to log out of the app, restart the app and log back in which fixed it for me.
I never use the Add Your Utility Account feature, which imports your tariff information from your provider. I always set up my tariff manually like we had to before Tesla introduced that feature 6-12 months ago. The reason I like setting up the tariff manually is that it then makes it easy to edit it if you need to, whereas if you import it from your provider account you have no control and just have to hope it works.
My advice if it's still not working - try logging out on the App, restart the App, log back in, and then try setting up your tariff manually. I call mine Octopus Manual Flux so I know it's the manual version that I've set up.
Hope you get it fixed.
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.0 -
The app displayed nonsense. I'll get an idea if it's sorted at 10pm and, if it doesn't start charging then I'll see if it starts charging at 11:30pm.
1 -
Can't help with the Powerwall app but I had a similar problem with octo-aid and IOF , apparently that had problems with IOF and the Octoplus API. I had to delete the app, and re-do my API key.
4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy
CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com0 -
Well that's just typical! Last night following what was either a software or app update, I've been able to set my tariff and the Powerwall is back to performing properly.
Mind you, I'm now seeing reports from other Powerwall users that their setting have been lost 😱
To close the thread, I'm not impressed with Tesla customer service. I am grateful for the support given by my installer, JPS, Maidstone, Kent.
3
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


