We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Used car with undisclosed faults! How to proceed? Return & full refund vs Keep & partial refund

2»

Comments

  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,595
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite

    It seems that the OP asked for advice but only wanted advice that they agreed with.

    I suggest the OP goes back and re-reads the advice given so far and moves forward with that advice in mind.

  • PTP123
    PTP123 Posts: 132
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    How dare someone have the windscreen replaced on 100k mile 10 year old car

    I think you need to have a word with yourself OP

  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,657
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    "I will most likely go the return route, I just need to figure out how to proceed, my legal standing and what could happen and what not"

    Reasons to reject

    • Not of satisfactory quality – free from major faults and safe to drive
    • Not fit for purpose – unsuitable for the intended use
    • Not as described – does not match the dealer’s description or promises
      This applies to both new and used cars purchased from a dealer, including online or distance sales. 

    The question will be are any of the faults 100% aligned to the above, I am not convinced to be honest.

    If you reject the car I believe you need to do the following

    1. Formally Reject it
    2. Return it immediately or make it available for collection (not drive it)

    If the dealer does not accept it / comply you have the following.

    1. No money for another car
    2. Prospect of hiring a car with no guaranteed route to recover the money.
    3. Potential of court costs , expert witness costs to win the case if you win, consumer rights do not automatically apply you have to fight to enforce them and that can cost.

    I would suggest you drive to the dealer and talk to them and come up with a plan.

    What car is it ? How much did you pay ?

    You are not getting £2500, get the oil leek fixed and try and get the cooling resolved and move on, alternatively take it to a decent garage and get it inspected to give further weight to your issues.

    Did you do a car check ? Is there an undeclared accident ? That might help your case.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,167
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    How is this not fit for purpose given OP's statement below, all in 24 days?

    ave 66 miles a day, would make a car more than fit for purpose.🤷‍♀️

    Since purchase I drove about 1600 miles (mainly taking it home from dealer + family holiday).

    Life in the slow lane
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,657
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    update op ??

  • Simon321
    Simon321 Posts: 10
    Third Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 August at 12:37AM

    I got some more professional "legal" (free) advice and I formally rejected the car as the car was not of satisfactory quality/not as described, with some evidence.
    Primary reasons: Oil leak (25-35cm oil patch on street within 24h), coolant leak (most likely internal), no hot air (heating system failure). Secondary reasons: undisclosed accident damage/bodyfiller/resprayed.

    The dealer called me to double check if I really don't want the car and we/I agreed I drop it off the next day for a full refund. The dealer accepted my rejection and within 10min I received a full refund on the spot. To be honest I wasn't expecting this.
    Now the car is advertised again with "excellent interior" and "excellent exterior" condition, the oil leak might be fixed or not. Asking price is now £200 less

    @everyone how gave advice: thanks for all the given advice! especially the advice focusing on the oil leak/hot air.

    also some details regarding costs:
    the car purchase price was around £8.2k.
    oil leak fix would be £450
    either heater matrix replacement or whatever else it could be (can't remember) £850
    egr cooler replacement £700
    these are all separate costs, all together would save some labour and the total would be around £1600

    anyway this is not my problem anymore

  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 1,949
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    can you (is it allowed by the board?) post the car reg so if a future purchaser does a Google search of the reg, this thread may pop up

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.