We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Hosepipe ban
Comments
-
Anglian Waters rules seem pretty clear re ponds
‘RestrictedYou must not use a hosepipe to fill or top up a garden pond.
Exceptions
You can still use water features where they are needed to keep fish healthy or where they're used as part of a recognised religious practice.’
0 -
I would agree with what you’ve said, if that was what I said and I’m not expressing that point. The key point is the OP is actively managing their pond with chemicals.
So yes a passive pond that is not maintained should not be filled a hosepipe to fill (or arguably morally any canister). However, when someone is enhancing the water with nutrition and pH additives and things of that ilk then I would argue it’s exempt provided also that you have reason to believe the pond contains aquatic animals.
Since captivity is not required then rearing can apply to animals that are free.
0 -
By way of addition, is also worth considering the nature of what the OP wants to do.
It is legal for the OP to fill the barrels using a watering can. The barrels are a finite volume so whether filled using cans or filled using a hose the exact same amount of water is used.
This is far less likely to be the case if (say) you were washing your car with a hose vs a bucket of water or two.
Whilst that distinction isn’t in the legislation before we burn the OP for asking the question it’s worth considering the two likely scenarios if they decide to sort their pond..
1) OP uses a watering can spending several hours in the baking sun, risking skin and eye damage leading to longer term medical issues requiring NHS support. And/or maybe the OP injures their back carrying the water and ends up in A&E using up precious NHS resources.
2) OP uses a hose, job is done quickly with no drama. They pop the kettle on and decide to use the time they now have to facilitate world peace.0 -
Do you know what ? Having read this thread I'm really pleased that I'm exempt from our hose pipe ban. It's put me off having a pond for life !
0 -
Having read this thread early on, I put it in the 'How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?' category, and treated it accordingly.
Returning now, I think the original assessment was about right!
Never believe anything until it's officially denied.
1 -
Not to use a hose pipe to fill any water butts?
0 -
Thank God for that long list of exemptions eh ?
0 -
It will be their problem if the authorities do not agree with YOUR interpretation.
0 -
I thought I'd round this thread off. After using my best attribute, procrastination, it rained and my water butts are nearly full!
So I didn't have to fight with my conscience after all.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

