We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Hosepipe ban

JohnB47
JohnB47 Posts: 2,783 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

I have a medium sized garden pond - no fish but numerous types of the usual pond life. To top it up recently (twice this year) I've used a garden hose to fill a water butt to which I add a conditioner to prepare the water for the pond. I then attach the hose to the butt tap and let it drain into the pond. (I have three large water butts and normally use these to top up the pond but they've been dry for weeks now).

Now that we've been included in the hosepipe ban, I'm wondering if I must stop using the hose to fill up the butt. Otherwise I would have to back-and-forth fill it with numerous watering cans.

I could just add the water to the pond using watering cans but this would be tiresom and would be complicated adding tiny amounts of conditioner to each watering can. (I add only 19ml to a full water butt).

The SWW advice on ponds is:

Do not use a hosepipe to fill or top up a garden pond, water feature or fountain.

You can use a hosepipe if:


You need to fill a pond to keep fish or other aquatic animals healthy


Where a pond or pool is used as part of a recognised religious practice


You need to fill an ornamental fountain if it is needed to supply oxygen to fish

Surely every pond has "other aquatic animals".

So what do you recon?

«134

Comments

  • FlorayG
    FlorayG Posts: 2,371 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 11 August at 4:43PM

    You can legally use a hosepipe to fill a water butt.

    I assume the logic in this is that you are not wasting any water as you would if just leaving the hose running

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Every pond will have a variety of life, but most of that life will need less water than fish, and will have the option of looking elsewhere if the water level gets too low.

    I would say by the wording of the rules you shouldn't use your hosepipe at all in filling the pond, either directly or via water butts. By the spirit of the rules you should probably avoid topping up the pond at all unless its absolutely necessary.

  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,783 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks both.

    FlorayG, where did you get that information? I'm with South West Water.

    Perhaps I just have to resign myself to adding 1ml of conditioner to each full watering can and use that method to top up the pond. Same amount of water, bigger backache.

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,812 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    what happens if you attach a hose to your water butt and allow a gravity flow to the pond? you're not attached to a pipe so it's not part of a hose pipe ban???

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,783 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    That's exactly what I have been doing up til now. Filling a water butt using a hose from outside tap to butt, add conditioner to the butt water, then moving the hose to the butt tap and letting it fill the pond by gravity.

    What I'm asking is for opinions on whether that's legally acceptable.

    If there was any rain water left in the butt I wouldn't be asking the question.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,485 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Unfortunately OP states that the butts have run dry (which I think is the title of a Woody Guthrie song).

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    have a medium sized garden pond - no fish but numerous types of the usual pond life. To top it up recently (twice this year) I've used a garden hose to fill a water butt to which I add a conditioner to prepare the water for the pond. I then attach the hose to the butt tap and let it drain into the pond. (I have three large water butts and normally use these to top up the pond but they've been dry for weeks now).

    Now that we've been included in the hosepipe ban, I'm wondering if I must stop using the hose to fill up the butt. Otherwise I would have to back-and-forth fill it with numerous watering cans.

    I could just add the water to the pond using watering cans but this would be tiresom and would be complicated adding tiny amounts of conditioner to each watering can. (I add only 19ml to a full water butt).

    The SWW advice on ponds is:

    Do not use a hosepipe to fill or top up a garden pond, water feature or fountain.

    You can use a hosepipe if:

    You need to fill a pond to keep fish or other aquatic animals healthy

    Where a pond or pool is used as part of a recognised religious practice

    You need to fill an ornamental fountain if it is needed to supply oxygen to fish

    Surely every pond has "other aquatic animals".

    So what do you recon?

    You should not use a hosepipe to fill a pond.

    Using a hosepipe to fill a water butt from which you then fill the pond is pretty much the same thing so you should not do it.

    Really, even filling the pond using watering cans is against the spirit of the restrictions even if compliant with the letter of the restrictions.

    Whatever happened to community shared responsibility?

    Will those that have found ingenious work arounds to circumvent the constraints of the hose pipe restrictions be the first to complain if more stringent constraints come into effect?

    The EA, OFWAT and DEFRA are currently considering allowing at least 3 Water supply companies to provide water only for restricted hours each day. This weather is extremely exceptional and we all need to adapt. It is not just up to everyone else.

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Do you have a link that states this is legal?

    A neighbour of mine has a veg plot in her garden and since the hosepipe ban last has been using a watering can to water the plot.

    She has water butts but me and my partner have been round a few times to assist her.

    She is in her 70's and not on the PR .

    She called Affinity water and asked and they said no so maybe water companies have different rules.

  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 11 August at 5:41PM

    In line with the rules for SWW that you have posted......can't you just pop down to your local pet shop & buy a goldfish, put it in your pond, then you can top it up to keep it healthy. This won't keep the purists happy but rules is rules.

    We are with E&SW and are exempt......because we have a 'blue badge' and other exemptions.

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    From Affinity Water

    During the temporary use ban, a hosepipe cannot be used to fill a water butt or other storage container (that is not hand held).

    Faq - can I still water my garden?

    https://www.affinitywater.co.uk/hosepipeban-faqs

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.