We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

EES tight connection time (EU and non-EU national)

I'm doing a trip to Asia with my OH. My OH has a EU passport. Our journey there is:

LCY - AMS

AMS - CDG 1h10m connection at AMS

CDG - HKG 1h40m connection at CDG

The connection is a bit tight at AMS but my understanding is that if I miss the connection due to EES delay, the airline will need to book me onto the next available flight although I would not be entitled to statutory compensation as it is not the airline's fault (please let me know if this is not right). So I am not too worried.

My OH has a EU passport so would not have the issue. My question is if I missed my connection due to EES delay, would travel insurance pay out if my OH decides to not get on the connecting flight and wait for me? My insurance is with HSBC premier and it appears they don't cover my OH's missed connection in this scenario.

«1

Comments

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,110 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 11 August at 10:39AM

    EES is a lottery - I travel through Schipol fairly regularly and queue times have varied from virtually nothing up to 45 mins+. Recently when the EES queue has been long, they seem to divert resources from the EU lanes and so both queues are longer than normal. That said, they also definitely prioritise connections and I've breezed through transit EES a couple of times when the lines for passengers entering the Netherlands were over 2 hours. 1hr10 is definitely doable, and the airport staff are well used to people needing to rush between gates.

    Make sure you get the short transit pass - it's excellent as you can bypass 90% of the queues.

    https://www.schiphol.nl/en/innovation/blog/short-connection-pass/

    You'd need to read both tour insurance policies carefully to see what is covered. I know my policy would cover me if my partner couldn't travel because they were ill, but not if they missed a connection due to delays and I decided not to travel of my own accord.

  • euanovsky
    euanovsky Posts: 57 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks and good advice! I didn't know something like short connection pass exists. I'll look out for those kiosks!

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,110 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Just to add, you don't actually need the pass to use the short connection lanes, but it makes everything a bit smoother. If you're really tight on time or there are queues for the pass kiosks just head straight down the short connection lane and the staff will check your boarding pass to make sure you qualify. They also usually have a board at the entrance with all the short connection flights on it, so if yours is listed there you are good to go, pass or not.

  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 4,852 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    As above - EES tends to be a lottery.

    However, are you aware that as immediate family you are entitled to accompany your spouse through the EU passport holders control lane ? You have to be EES registered of course.

    That's the theory - how it works in practice is another scenario - seems to depend entirely on the local passport control staff.

    I now have an Irish passport (thanks to my late paternal grandmother) - we went through Malaga airport in April and the police officer checking my new EU passport indicated that in future my wife could join me. We have yet to put the theory to practice !!!

  • euanovsky
    euanovsky Posts: 57 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks how can they tell if you are married or not if we keep our own surnames? Anyway won't work for us as we are not married! Just committed to each other :D

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Only if its a continuous ticket is the airline responsible, if you have bought a "self transfer" then you are on your own. I'd be surprised if anyone is selling that route as a single ticket but I guess its possible.

    Had you only had one layover you would have avoided EES as you could have transferred airside and so not entered schengen space but because you are going from schengen to schengen you have to clear immigration in AMS

    Insurance wouldnt cover it but assuming you are on the same booking as your partner they arent forced to travel on without you and the airline would have to deal with the pair of you (again assuming a continuous ticket) even if they could have gone on ahead

  • euanovsky
    euanovsky Posts: 57 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks! It's one continuous ticket sold by the airline so I presume they think it's doable (at least pre-EES).

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,402 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    No one checks, in any case if you live together you count as a family unit. You just breeze through and say your together. Worst case you say that under article 8 ECHR you are allowed to travel together.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,775 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I'd be surprised if anyone is selling that route as a single ticket but I guess its possible.

    Air France/KLM sell a lot of tickets like that. I try to avoid them but they're useful if you're collecting their frequent flyer club XPs.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.