We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mis-sold Broadband

Hi, I'm currently in dispute with my Broadband provider (YouFibre formally known as BRSK).

I was told my a doorstep BRSK sales rep my full remaining bill with Zen would be paid in full but now YouFibre (who took over recently) are saying it's only up to £300 and not the £421 I was told.

I don't have any recording of the encounter (it was last December) and nothing in writing but I also don't have anything that says it was only up to £300.

They say unless I provide some evidence they won't cover the rest but I definitely wouldn't have moved if I had know it wouldn't be the full amount.

Is there anything I can do?

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,459 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    So between the doorstepping last December and now you received no confirmation from BRSK/YouFibre that your full early termination charges would be met?

    And in that time you didn't question the lack of confirmation?

    Assuming you are well past any change of mind notice period, I doubt whether you will have any luck with this claim - those doorknockers are on commission-only and will say pretty much anything to get a sale.

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,485 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    The amount companies cover is usually capped so £300 sounds about right.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,459 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Did you actually tell the doorknocker what your early termination charges were going to be? Not the sort of number that most people have to hand. Was it more -

    "I'm in contract for x months"

    "That's all right, we'll pay all the termination charges….."

  • I should have downloaded the recording from my doorbell at the time but I forgot.

    He made me run through the Zen early termination page to receive the email which showed £421 and he just said on the spot that will all be covered.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,459 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    That's called "lying".

    Don't suppose you got the guy's name? Probably a fool's errand but I guess if you were able to quote it to YouFibre along with a suggestion that the regulator might be interested in their mis-selling tactics it might make them reconsider.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.