We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Keeping or closing accounts

13»

Comments

  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 13 August at 10:07AM

    There are services that executers can use to locate unknown assets, e.g.:

    https://www.titleresearch.com/news/importance-of-asset-searching

    Executors must locate all the assets in an estate so that they do not disadvantage the beneficiaries and it is therefore vital due diligence and part of industry best practice to conduct an asset search on every probate case.

    The implications for Executors of not locating all assets during probate include; HMRC fines for understated Inheritance Tax, lack of financial viability for probate professionals to re-open files if the value of the missed assets is small, and additional costs to Executors incurred from having to re-do estate paperwork.

    Completing a financial asset search ensures that the Executor can demonstrate that they have discharged their duty to search for assets and it negates any potential issue with HMRC regarding incorrect IHT liability.

    I expect that HMRC takes a particular interest in very large estates.

  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,821 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 13 August at 12:29PM

    I suspect many people agree to take on the role of executor without knowing they need to carry out an 'asset search'. HMRC may not have the resources to investigate every small/medium/average estate value, instead concentrating on the bigger ones.

    Presumably estates can be grouped into small, average, large and very large. Very large would be £multi million or bigger and I guess they are very likely to have their estate dealt with by professionals.

  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 13 August at 11:50AM

    HMRC currently considers tax payers with assets of more than £2 million (or an income of more than £200K) to be "wealthy". HMRC has a Wealthy Team to harass investigate the affairs of these tax payers. About 2% of UK tax payers are classified as "wealthy" so it is not a particularly exclusive club.

  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 13,176 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    @subjecttocontract

    I often close accounts when I have no further use for them. The upside is it keeps my accounts tidy and I may qualify for a future switch bonus. The downside is I might miss a good offer to existing account holders......which is exactly what happened with Halifax, I closed the account and was not able to open the 8% reg saver.

    I hadn't had a Halifax account for years, but my log in for the website still worked, and I now have an 8% saver.

  • Richmc
    Richmc Posts: 162 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I have a number of savings accounts with zero balance as I'm always on the lookout for the best rates, currently I'm with Oxbury at 5.1% this ends at the end of Summer so I'll swap to another one but keep this one open, normally offers are only available to new customers anyway. Normally banks will only transfer £20,000 in one transaction and will block the account after three or four transfers, so I contact them and have the limit lifted.

  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,821 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I think Halifax may have got annoyed with me at the end of last year as I slowly requested that they close my outstanding Halifax accounts one at a time, some with just a few pence in them. So the fact my Halifax log in doesn't work any more is no real surprise.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.