We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Keeping or closing accounts

2

Comments

  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,821 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I would suspect that is an impossible task. Many people will close accounts leaving no evidence that they ever had one.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,047 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Theoretically an executor should take all reasonable steps to ascertain whether any IHT is potentially payable, and there will be some sort of declaration to that effect, but I don't believe that there's any actual obligation to reconstruct someone's entire financial history for the previous seven years, so in more practical terms it's all about establishing how/when/where/to whom any relevant gifting would have occurred.

  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,695 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Don't forget that the vast majority of us will not pay inheritance tax.

    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    It's been over 10years now so memory will have lost bits but I just don't remember us doing that. I wasn't the executor, my mother & uncle were I think.

    My mother wasn't up to the task really (I don't mean that in a criticising sense) so I ended up doing a lot of the work. His finances were taken on face value - as in all accounts on the day he died, final balances.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 766 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 12 August at 7:19AM

    https://cunningtons.co.uk/duties-of-executor/

    Talks about gvt clampdown ..

    "it is also recommended that you obtain and review 7 years’ of bank statements for all accounts and make enquiries with the bank about any payments over £250 which are either unreferenced or you suspect might have been a gift."

    By way it is even worse than that -theoretically you are supposed to get financial records for the whole of the deceased life to see if any gifts have been made that would be a 'gift with reservation'. For example 30 years ago giving 50k away for daughter to buy a holiday home but having use of that holiday home as well!

  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,821 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I often close accounts when I have no further use for them. The upside is it keeps my accounts tidy and I may qualify for a future switch bonus. The downside is I might miss a good offer to existing account holders......which is exactly what happened with Halifax, I closed the account and was not able to open the 8% reg saver.

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I'm not sure I could provide a full account of my own 7yrs worth of accounts never mind someone else's.

    Current & savings accounts have been opened & closed all over the place. I just couldn't do it.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 13 August at 7:59AM

    It is a good point about inheritance tax. You do not get off the hook if you do not have an IHT liability. You still have to prove that is not as a result of gifts that are liable for IHT. I have good electronic records, with bank statements going back more than 20 years, but proving that I did not make a gift with reservation 50 years ago would be tricky. My executor would not have access to my electronic records. Perhaps I should change that.

    I try to close accounts that I am no longer using. I would not like someone to hack into them and use them for money laundering. It is not easy to close some of them.

  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,468 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    We've wrapped up 2 estates in the past 4 years, both under IHT (1 left £273k after everything settled, the other £240k), no request for anything other than what we plonked on the required probate forms. No 'gift' checking was requested & none was given.

    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,821 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Its an impossible task if the information isn't available. Perhaps it's a 'grey area' and it's possible to make a gift, then close the account, destroy all docs and leave no evidence for executors.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.